What exhaust?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
calf28
MMOC Member: No

What exhaust?

Post by calf28 »

Having bought a 1957 Traveller a few weeks ago I have trying to make it a bit quieter. I've done some sound proofing on the roof, panels and floor also in the spare wheel compartment, these have all made an improvement but a fair bit of noise is coming from the exhaust which is a fairly newish stainless steel job. I'm going to try a mild steel one to see if there's any improvement, does anyone know of nice quiet exhaust or is it pot luck? If this doesn't work I might try adding a back box but not quite sure if that might slow the car a little. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What exhaust?

Post by Sleeper »

Just wondered what your location is,I have a nearly new one piece mild steel exhaust but could do with going stainless....
Fancy a swap?

John :wink:
Manchester
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Welcome to the messageboard. I have a fairly newish stainless steel exhaust on my traveller and in terms of noise it is fine - not noticeably louder than the mild steel one it replaced. Exhaust noise tends to be a bit louder in a traveller than a saloon but I seem to recall that someone on here recently had a noisy one which turned out to be faulty so don't rule out that there may be a fault with it.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
calf28

Post by calf28 »

There is a resonance, a general 'thrumming' or droning noise at tick over. This decreases when revs are increased and when driving is much less but still there so on a long journey can be tiresome. I know it will be almost impossible to eliminate all noise but it should be possible to make it 'acceptable'. The engine and gearbox mounts seem ok, I've loosened the steady bar at the back of the engine but doesn't seem to make any difference. So using the Sherlock Holmes edict it should be the exhaust.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Its probably worth checking your engine mounts as new hard ones could be fitted.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Unlikely to be engine steady unless weld at the bulkhead has cracked or head nut is loose.

Check Gearbox mounts and steady cable.

Check where exhaust passes thru bulkhead, They frequently foul here as they are no longer well made or produced and produced in one section rather than two or three. Mine required heat and bending a few degrees to give me clearance and eliminate exactly the noise you have described.

Elsewhere, worth looking at the bonnet cross member.If the foam / felt has disappeared / degraded , this can cause drum.

Sounds stupid but have you looked under the rear floor of the traveller / rear seat. people leave tools and bits etc which can cause vibration - worth eliminating.
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

As said in other posts do check it's not rattling against the body anywhere!

Adding a second silencer to the exhaust would certainly have the desired effect, as many non-standard aftermarket ones do. I found going for a slightly bigger bore exhaust with two boxes was a net noise decrease - but it also reduced the charm!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i had a stainless on mine , you will find it does get quieter as it fills with carbon from use , stick with it , will be fine .
[sig]5641[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive got a maniflow now it sounds wonderful :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
calf28

Post by calf28 »

Exhaust not touching anywhere and I've put Silent Coat soundproofing on the back roof and cab roof, door panels, passenger floor and rear doors. Also some foam soundproofing on the bulkhead and on the passenger floor (over the exhaust). It could be the engine/gearbox mounts but they seem soft to the touch. I suppose that this is a case of elimination. If the new exhaust doesn't fix the noise the engine mounts are next. It all depends on how much money you want to spend!!
Thanks to everyone for your replies. John.