Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Dashcam

Post by Blaketon »

I have a Contour camera (I think it was meant for mountain biking/skiing), that can be used in a car (I have used it to record pleasant drives; you can make DVDs with it) but it will only record for about half and hour on one card or battery. It records sound and vision.

Whilst I am not prone to follow fashion, it seems that dashcams are becoming popular and I can see that it would prove useful, in an accident situation and I know that they have been used to provide evidence, in cases of dangerous driving (Having one to record pillocks, who drive right in your boot would be nice).

Does anyone have one? If so, are they wired to the car or do they have long life rechargeable batteries or photo electric cells? I already use a Snooper 3 Zero, that warns me about speed traps and picks up radar etc (It all began when I received a speeding ticket, which I knew to be wrong, as I had seen the speed trap and knew how fast I had been going but what if I hadn't seen it, how would I have remembered and been able to offer a defense?). That is wired into the car, via a plug. Are dashcams the same, as I don't really want too many wires trailing for this and that?
simmitc

Re: Dashcam

Post by simmitc »

There are so many different cameras that there is not one answer to your queries, but from what I've seen and purchased...

They have onboard rechargeable batteries and a power lead to run from a cigar lighter. The battery is designed to provide backup when the camera is without power and does not give a long running time on its own. In use with motion detect to provide protection whilst parked the battery will last a long while. You can get a hardwire kit that provides power to the camera whenever the ignition is switched on and starts it recording automatically.

Some things to consider - viewing angle of lens. Size of memory card. Resolution. Nighttime performance. Loop recording. GPS sensor. Type of mount. Wireless capability. Sound. For a Minor, probably the most important thing is size. A Nextbase 512G won the Which Best Buy award, but I find that it restricts visibility in a Minor. Far better is a Mini 0806 which fits very nicely. You won't get the same features in every camera, so you have to weight up what is most important to you.

The hardwire kit is easy to run down the inside of the windscreen pillar to emerge behind the glove box which keeps everything neat and tidy.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

This loop recording, some cameras seem to have a 10 minute loop, which I presume means the recording gets recorded over after this time. How would one save a captured incident, if required, before the loop recorded over it.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Concerns me too. In the event of an incident, stopping/saving the recording isn't likely to be the first thing on my mind!
1956 4-door called Max
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

10 minute loop ? mine just fills the SD card then overwrites , not sure of the time duration but sure it's much longer than that , as for after incident...just switch it off or pocket the SD card.

Dash-cam in rear view mirror...
2017_0424sleeper0004.JPG
2017_0424sleeper0004.JPG (315.44 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
John :wink:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

The camera in my "Other" car overwrites the data card when it is full however in the event of an accident it detects any impact and saves the footage until you decide to erase it. It also has a rear facing pod camera for those annoying jerks who insist on driving up your ar$e!
I fitted a fused power socket under the bonnet with a dashboard switch to turn the camera on and off when necessary and this leaves the ciggy socket free for the satnav. :D

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mine mentioned above doesn't have an SD card, just a very small internal HD. Hence mine too has a 10-minute recording duration per over-write. Has to be downloaded via USB if required for evidence etc. It was VERY cheap and TBH its pretty rubbish! But you get what you pay for...
1956 4-door called Max
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by greendefender123 »

This thread just reminded me of my dash cam. Just spent 20mins fitting it to the astra. Just ripped it back out again as its not my thing and i didn't like it. Its only a £25 one. Il fit it the girlfriends car. Id like to get a satnav with one in it. But these are still alot of money.

This one records for 10 mins then starts a new 10 minute video. When full it overides it.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I bought a garmin sat nav with built in dashcam. it has a sd card to record which is overwritten and can be replaced. Data on speed location are all recorded.

works ok. sat nav a little slow at times but the combination of both options in one unit works for me
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It saddens me that we are becoming more and more a surveillance society. And whilst I appreciate that it would give good evidence in the event of an accident, I can't help feeling that the more spy cameras there are out there the more our personal freedom is eroded.
To those that argue that 'if you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about' I say what about privacy? What about wanting your own space to do what you want and go where you want without being watched all the time? I may not be breaking the law but my private life is my own business an no-one else's!
We may not have surveillance cameras everywhere yet but it's not far off. Especially as (I suspect) they will prove cheaper than actually employing / training someone to be a policeman on the beat.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Blame the ars##oles in society, they need watching.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have the Nextbase 412gw it works well but i never really look at it unless we get a mad driver or a near miss, Then i back it up to my pc to make my own tv show :lol: I have CCTV on the house but never use it unless something has happened, It used to be funny when we had it set up to alert to our phones while we were out and then we would see a cat in the garden, But yes society makes up paranoid :o

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I have one in my daily Astra which I fitted in front of the rear view mirror, can't even see it! but it records everything. In the process of fitting another for rear view, to record the #ssoles behind.
Hoping! that if they see it they might increase the following distance?!

Alan
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

You'll be lucky Alan, today's drivers can't see the road in front of them let alone your rear facing camera but at least you will record their antics.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think they are afraid to see the road in front of them in case they have to come up with an original decision, not based on one you made a second ago.......................................... :roll: :wink:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)