Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Electronic ignition distributor

Post by acmsb »

Hi everyone

I have a 1969 Morris Traveller (1098) and am thinking about replacing the old distributor points and condenser with electric ignition.

I have been told that Accuspark and Simonbbc supply both conversion kits and also complete new distributors with the electronic ignition ready fitted. The latter is my preferred option, as then I can keep the old distributor with points as a back up spare in case the electronics do not live up to the hype!

Does anyone have experience/recommendations in this area? All advice v gratefully received!

Alex
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Electronic ignition distributor

Post by James k »

Hi,
After a series of condenser failures, I replaced my distributor with a Simonbbc electronic 45D. That was over two years ago and it's given me no problems at all. The car is driven daily and I have not had a single ignition-related problem since installing the new distributor. I found that, after fitting it, the engine ran smoother, revved better, started more easily and was just generally a bit nicer to drive. I highly recommend buying one if you want to forget about ignition problems! If you're worried about reliability, just carry the old one in the boot as a spare.

James
BaldyTone
Minor Friendly

Post by BaldyTone »

Hi, I fitted an Accuspark, I totally agree with James, fit and forget.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi guys

That's really helpful - thank you!! V grateful for your help!
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Iv got the powerspark one fitted. I fitted a complete 45d dizzy. You do hear of the odd failure not many considering everyone seems to have one fitted in classic cars. So its worth carrying your old one as a spare. I also carry a spare cap for the 45d distributor.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

greendefender123 wrote: You do hear of the odd failure not many considering everyone seems to have one fitted in classic cars.
Hardly "everyone" has gone electronic. Like many others, our Minor has been very reliable with its traditional ignition system for nearly 60years. I understand how it works and it is driven almost every day. I have no intention of fitting anything electronic to it........
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

It's worth noting that, if you buy a complete electronic distributor, you not only get the electronic part but also a complete new distributor including new mechanical and vacuum advances.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I like my electronic dizzy's. They're great on the British cars. Couldn't get them to work well on the beetle though.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Obviously if you purchase a complete new distributor you also eliminate any wear in the distributor. However, if your original distributor is worn and causing problems, you could equally purchase a complete new distributor with good quality ignition components as original too. That would be my own preference. With good quality parts, there is no reason why an original type ignition system with contacts should be unreliable. My Minors have never given me any real trouble in this regard. Of course you can fit endless electronic stuff to a Morris Minor if that is your wish but I haven't ever felt that cheaply made electronic parts would make it any more reliable or straightforward to maintain myself.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

ManyMinors wrote:
greendefender123 wrote: You do hear of the odd failure not many considering everyone seems to have one fitted in classic cars.
Hardly "everyone" has gone electronic. Like many others, our Minor has been very reliable with its traditional ignition system for nearly 60years. I understand how it works and it is driven almost every day. I have no intention of fitting anything electronic to it........
That have fitted electronic ignitions i mean. Lots of kitcars trialing have the accuspark or powerspark one fitted. Its a pain when the new points youve just fitted fail in a day or 2. It really spoils an event.

Iv only fitted one for ease as its something less to worry about for now for getting my traveller back on the road. When it fails i will probably refit points. Iv rebuilt my old distributor ready to go now with powerspark points condenser rotor arm and cap. I find most people i ask who have fitted the electronic ignitions have fitted these ones.

When you have running problems with an old car thats been on going for years its nice to eliminate the whole dissy in one go. My fathers jago has nether ran so well now. Its been struggling for nearly 10 years. Same with his old land rover changed the whole dissy and it was fine till we scrapped it.

Obviously when it fails your stuck. No amount of adjustment will get you going again. I took alot of persuading to fit one and i needed new parts for mine including a vacuum advance. Price wise it was about the same.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

People clearly have different thoughts on this. I have found that the standard dizzy is totally reliable when fitted with Distributor Doc points and capacitor. And I find that setting the points gap is strangely satisfying, but many take the view that an electronic dizzy means one less servicing job to attend to! :D
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I have to agree with others who have fitted electronic ignition. I was skeptical but after replacing my points and condensor with an accuspark module in my original distributor. I noticed an immediate improvement on starting and smooth running of my 948.
I do keep a spare set in the boot of DD points and condensor just incase of emergency.
My advice to the skeptics is dont knock it till you have tried it :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Until recently, I hadn't had experienced any problems associated with inferior ignition parts (Often said to originate in China). That was a set of points fitted to my Midget 1500. They had been in stock a while and I cannot say, for sure, who supplied them. My father has a 1275 Midget and we have had some distributors overhauled by http://www.distributordoctor.com/. They have supplies of good parts, so I have also invested in some spares for the various cars we have. I have put the spare condensers in a box in the airing cupboard, which is a good environment for them.

Both my parents' cars are running Aldon electronic systems ( http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/ignition ), where the points are replaced by an electronic device. My mother's MGB has done a fair number of miles on this system and it's been utterly reliable (We had quite a bit of trouble with it when it was on points). We have also fitted an Aldon coil, as we had quite a few problems with other replacement units.

Of my three, the Midget and Traveller have been on points since they were made. Aside from that one incident, with the 1500, neither has ever given any trouble (The Morris has had two coils, one of which lasted less than a year but the one on there now is over 12 years old) and since I know how a points system works, I will stick with that, now that I have some good parts in stock (Which should see me through until I am very old). The MGB GT V8 was prone to consume points more quickly and whilst you can get twin point distributors, we decided to fit and Aldon system to that. Since 1999, it hasn't missed a beat (Though it never does that many miles - only just over 50000 from new).