Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor for daily use

Post by MorrisJohn »

Good afternoon all. Allow me to quickly introduce myself, I've had two Minors in the past, one two door and one four door saloon. Both I only kept for a short period of time, due to them being thoroughly rotten. Both were bought online from a certain infamous action site. One I knew what I was buying, the other I had the wool pulled over my eyes by a less than honest seller! I'm a lover of older cars and my daily driver for years was an old Austin mini ❤️.

Expensive lesson learned (no more buying unseen) I am now looking at replacing my modern car next year with a 2 door Minor saloon. The car will be for daily use, covering around 15,000 miles a year.

I've been looking at Charles Ware and have had preliminary discussions with them around my requirements (disc brakes, 1098 or 1275cc, electronic ignition, inertia reel seatbelts, electric water skooshers...that kind of thing). They have said they can provide a fully structurally restored, wax injected Minor to my specifications within my stated budget with a two year anti-corrosion warranty and six month mechanical warranty. Interior will be original, but good. Which sounds good to me - I'm not seeking concours, rather a solid, dependable Moggy.

I can carry out basic engine maintenance, thanks to my years driving an old mini, and know it'll need nipples greased regularly etc, and have a garage to keep it in overnight. I will factor in savings each month for regular professional structural maintenance too.

I am keen to hear from anyone who has bought from Charles Ware recently with feedback on the service and quality of car they received - as well as any comments from anyone using one as a daily driver.

Thanks.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Minor for daily use

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not bought, but had a nut and bolt restoration earlier this year (I did the interior) Over the last 40 years they have looked after my car , carrying out staged, quality work at competitive prices.

Like you I carefully specified what I wanted and got it. On occasion they have gone above and beyond , such as Tim Brennan finding me a refurbished high top radiator with brass plate and tap, period to my car. Inevitably with such work there will be niggles, but all have been resolved amicably and to my satisfaction.

I have driven in one of their sale cars when Tim gave me and another customer a lift into central Bristol to catch the train. It drove well and had been well worked on and maintained. It was a late model original convertible and I damn nearly succumbed and bought it! (I really want a Series 2 Empire Green with a beige hood to revive my childhood)

In my experience you get what you pay for. They are not cheap, but I don't want cheap. Appearances i.e. shiny car, can be deceptive as you have clearly found, but their cars / work seem to be solid and reliable.
Last edited by firedrake1942 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks very much for your reply.

Honest feedback from actual customers is really useful when making a decision on whether to spend this amount of money on a fifty-something-year-old car.

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I've been very happy with Charles Ware.

Used them a couple of times.

Not the cheapest, but you get good service and honesty.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks Brian, that's good to know. Keen to do things right and avoid another lemon.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I can't comment on any recent experience with CW, but as to daily driver, I've used Minors as daily drivers for 40 years, in my heyday covering 18,000 miles per annum commuting on country lanes and fast dual carriageways; plus for holidays, literally one end/side of the country to the other. Completely practical as long as you keep a stock of spares and are prepared to maintain the car properly. For winter use I cannot praise too highly the fitting of heated front and rear screens. The Minor heater was never brilliant, so you could also consider heated seats - there are kits that are simple to fit.

If your search for previous discussions on this you will get a range of balanced opinions from "do it" to "don't do it", so you will see plenty of arguments but will have to make the final decision yourself.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I should add that some advise against the Traveller for daily use. Don't get me wrong, I love the Traveller and own one, but they do tend to leak a bit at the back and really need to be garaged.

For an all-weather every day car you might do better with a two-door saloon.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks again for your comments. I see no reason why a Minor can't be a perfectly reliable everyday car. My preference is a two-door saloon. I'm reassured by the comments of CW customers and will continue discussions with them.

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Hmmmm my recent posting on this subject seems to have disappeared / deleted !!! :o
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I can't see anything our log to suggest that your post was deleted.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

How bizarre !!!
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

emleyj wrote:
I've been looking at Charles Ware and have had preliminary discussions with them around my requirements (disc brakes, 1098 or 1275cc, electronic ignition, inertia reel seatbelts, electric water skooshers...that kind of thing). They have said they can provide a fully structurally restored, wax injected Minor to my specifications within my stated budget with a two year anti-corrosion warranty and six month mechanical warranty. Interior will be original, but good. Which sounds good to me - I'm not seeking concours, rather a solid, dependable Moggy.

Thanks.
If you don't mind telling, how much are they quoting for such a car?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It won't be cheap... been there and done it. But the finished article was superb and has been practically trouble free for donkey's years.
They are doing trav rebuilds for nearly £30k now if you go for all the upgrades.
Dogsdad
Minor Friendly

Post by Dogsdad »

I bought a car from Charles Ware six months ago.
Very happy with it. Not cheap mind.
I do wonder if expecting to do 15,000 miles a year in a 40 year old car is realistic unless you are very clued up on maintenance and repair (or know someone who is).
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

In four years of driving my Minor almost daily (with occasional extended down periods), I've only racked up about 18,000 miles. I don't know that Mog struggles to keep up with it, but it certainly takes more upkeep than a modern.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I ran my 55 for 7 years as my only car and did 10k a year. No garage, lived outdoors, did my own maintenance. If you start with a good car and look after it, perfect daily.
Good home offered for custom splittie
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Rust is always the problem as these cars rot for fun. The underneath must be well protected and throughout winter you need to be hosing the underside down every fortnight.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I would agree that unless you need the room inside, a saloon has less to deteriorate. I am of the opinion that a garage is the place to store a car, whether in regular use or not.

As regards daily use, that is what Minors were designed for, though in those days average mileage was not what it is now. Being designed for A & B roads, Minors were lower geared and as such may not be as suited to faster roads, as they come (The VW Beetle was perhaps a better motorway car, since Germany adopted motorways before we did....but the Minor is better on the bends). Yes they require periodic maintenance, whilst the modern trend it towards fit, forget and replace when it fails. I reckon a properly greased suspension joint will outlast a sealed for life unit and I know which I prefer (Especially as moderns are so "Dealer" only).