Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine Plate/Number

Post by les »

Phil, I hoped it would go without saying the prefix would need to match the specific model involved. I've got a Minor engine plate somewhere, and if someone fitted it to a Minor engine, I can't see it being disputed. (The breather system etc could have been altered, regarding visual stuff). The engine that originally had that number no longer has it, who's to say it's not the one with the number now. What a minefield to verify that all the Minor engines in cars today, have their original numbers!

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Quite!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I changed the engine on one of my mogs a few years ago and made a plate of brass and stamped it with my post code and a date, they accepted this without a murmer.
The engine number on Elsie May is also 'gobbledegook' on the V5, God knows what drugs they were on when the DVLA accepted it, as it bears no resemblance to any engine number series I've ever seen. :roll:
And God knows what the then owners were smoking when they quoted it to them, as she is correctly registered as a 1098 but the engine in her has a standard 1098 issue number stamped into the plate........ :roll:
Mind you I'd think twice about informing the computerised robots at the DVLA of anything these days anyway, they will probably either send you round in circles or issue you with a 'Q' plate......
And they call it progress! :lol: :lol:
Bring back human employees and local offices!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am of the opinion that so long as the engine has a number and that number is matched with the number on the C5 / log book there should be no problem.
The engine number does not have to be the original BMC engine number.