Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Petition to stop classic scrappage

Post by Oldmogman »

Practical Classics magazine has started a petition to make it illegal for manufacturers to process vehicles which have Historic Vehicle on their V5 documents though any scrappage scheme.

Please sign and forward the link to a fellow classic lover!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... atures/new
Yeti
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Petition to stop classic scrappage

Post by Yeti »

How do you get a Historic Vehicle attachment on your V5? I would like to sign this petition, as many others would I am sure, can you add an online link for us all if not too much trouble. Cheers
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The v5c will show 'HIstoric Vehicle' in the vehicle details section. This is ammended automatically when you take out an exempt licence.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Done. I would add that I don't think any half decent car should be scrapped, as it is very wasteful. Having said that, the way most cars are designed and abused, it's inevitable and this scheme is only bringing forward the evil day, in order to bolster the trade. It seems that Apple are meddling with older smart phones, to slow them down. They say it's to save the battery but all the phones I have had (Nothing more than a pay as you go), had replaceable batteries, so I can't see this as a genuine reason and I suspect it's designed to get people to buy new phones.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Here's the link to the actual petition

The wording is:
Make it illegal for manufacturers to process vehicles which have Historic Vehicle on their V5 documents though any scrappage scheme. A simple way to avoid losing rare road heritage is to make all vehicles with Historic Vehicle on their V5 document, legally exempt from scrappage.
More details

A decision taken by Ford UK to scrap a rare Standard 10 was recently highlighted and reversed. The mint condition classic had been sent for scrap by Ford after it was traded in for a Transit. There are many other examples of historic vehicles being sent for a similar fate. They should have legal protection.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207027/
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

ianmack wrote:The v5c will show 'HIstoric Vehicle' in the vehicle details section. This is ammended automatically when you take out an exempt licence.
According to the DVLA website, if your vehicle was registered before 01/01/1977, and the taxation class (on your V5) doesn't show 'Historic Vehicle', and you have to pay a road tax fee, you will need to take your V5 (in your name) to a tax-issuing post office, along with your next V11 road tax reminder (optional), current MOT certificate or V112 MOT exemption (downloadable from gov.uk) and insurance certificate. Your V5 will be sent to the DVLA and a new one showing 'historic' taxation class issued in its place. Thereafter road tax for the vehicle will be free of charge.
1956 4-door called Max
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I seem to recall that when my MGB GT V8 became tax exempt, I had to take all the stuff to the Post Office but it was all straightforward. Now I can "Tax it" online. I can't remember whether I had a new log book - I will have to look. If nobody rocks the boat, the Midget comes in from the cold in 2019 and my mother's BGT after next year (It always takes effect from the April following the year in which the car reaches 40 years old).