Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mark t4
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1275 engine advise

Post by mark t4 »

Hi everyone

How much do you think I mill need to pay for a half decent 1275 engine and gearbox from a sprite or midget?

I only ask because i am thinking of putting one in my minor

Thanks for any advise

Mark
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: 1275 engine advise

Post by ManyMinors »

I would think a "known good" engine and gearbox would sell for around £1000 or so nowadays?
There are not so many Sprites & Midgets being dismantled now and even really rough cars sell for much more money than a few years ago.
Best thing is to keep an eye open on ebay and similar.
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

They've gone up quite a lot in recent years. I also understand that so have Ford Type 9 gearboxes. Whilst the Midget engine and box is more or less a straight swap (Clutch apart), I would consider the Ford box. I think a 3.9 CWP would be good with a 1275 and 4 speed box.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You may like to consider a Morris Marina/Ital 1275cc engine mated to a 1275cc Midget/Sprite gearbox.
Whilst the Marina/Ital engine is not so common as it used to be they are more obtainable than the 1275cc Midget/Sprite and cheaper even with the conversion parts.
Going back to the price of a 1275cc Midget/Sprite engine and gearbox I would suggest that the final cost when fitting is completed will be more like £1200 - £1500 plus.
I would suggest that a 3.9 diff is used if the 14" wheels are retained.
There are plenty of threads on here as regards fitting the 1275cc Marina/Ital engine.

The diff ratio has been edited. It was meant to be 3.9 in the first place. :oops:
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Mark,

Midget 1275 engines can fetch a high price these days, but there is an alternative, the Marina/Ital 1275 in-line block. Visually it is a little different, in that it has an 'upside-down' oil filter canister (it is the same on the 'B' Series engine, why on earth do they do that?), the front and rear plates are different and you would need to adapt either a 1098 or Midget 1275 flywheel and clutch to fit the Marina crankshaft (the Marina flywheel is too big to fit within the Midget flywheel housing (I believe?).

It has been done many times before, a search might get some details of what is required.
Richard

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I found the 3.7 a tad high but when used on flatter roads, it was OK. Now, with the Ford box, I have a 4.55. It runs on 155 X 14 tyres.

If I had the time to experiment, I'd like to fit the Triumph Spitfire overdrive box (I have a spare but that belongs to my Midget) and also the 1500 engine, which I think would suit the Traveller really well.
mark t4
Minor Friendly

Post by mark t4 »

Thanks for everyones input and knowledge :D

Mark
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

I'm selling a drop-in conversion midget engine, minor box, minor clutch marina flywheel.

I have a 1275 that I will be listing here. Im selling as a complete unit with marina flywheel adapted by ESM to allow use of minor clutch and minor ribbed gearbox (included). All assembled and ready to go. Well proven combination, I had it in my traveller for a few weeks and did about 500 miles of A and B road driving including a trip of 90 miles at 65MPH. oil pressure of 60 PSI at at 60 MPH in 4th gear, compression equal on all pots. I cant remember the figure but it certainly was at the top end of normal. I intended to fit it in Kermit the Mog whom I sold , so it is sitting here without a car to provide motive power for.

Fitted with alternator and lots of other bits so all the work is done and it is a known entity.

Look out for the listing

Al
Attachments
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2055 times