Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: POSTING A PHOTO

Post by Admin »

philthehill wrote:Admin
Thank you for the update and input.
I have to say that the information in the update plus any relevant information should have been posted right at the beginning of the previous deleted thread and not now.
It would have eliminated any misconceptions and misunderstandings if there were any.
I am a great believer in giving all the relevant known facts as early as possible so as to allow contributors to this web site full scope to participate.
Anyway we are were we are and we will have to work with the revised limit.
Phil
I don't agree with your view Phil, and I respectfully suggest we leave it there. Have a nice evening.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Thanks for the offer but I don't know how to email a picture either. :D
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Budgie wrote:Thanks for the offer but I don't know how to email a picture either. :D
Yikes lol. Okay, bung your pic in an envelope and send it to me care of the Derby office address, and I'll scan it for you?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Yikes indeed, me and thousands of others ! :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well at least I now know what I suspected, that being, the reduction in maximum allowable file size. I'll be looking for some simple to use software to resize some pictures now I suppose.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

For Les mainly but also anyone else interested, there's no need to fork out beer token for something to handle this. There are a variety of free programs that can handle the job - this one gets a good rating on the freeware sites http://www.balesio.com/fileminimizerpic ... wnload.php . This site http://www.jpegmini.com/ has a different take - you upload your heavyweight file, and then download a slim version of it (wish that would work for people too... :D ) . There are loads of sites that do this if you don't get along with jpegmini. Finally, if you do want a proper fully fledged image editing suite, look on fleabay for previous versions at a fraction of current version costs. If you have taken your photos on a mobile phone though, there are heaps of apps that will minimise pictures free.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ok thanks for that info Mike. :D

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Doesn't work on my iPad. You know I'm getting really mad at this retrograde step. :evil:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
My sentiments exactly.
Phil

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

The change is necessary, for everyone's benefit, as I took the trouble to explain to you earlier. Your understanding of the needs of the board beyond just yourselves would be appreciated.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Some folk have been contributing to the forum for a good number of years, so i think they are entitled to feel put out by recent developments.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

What specific "recent developments" are you talking about, Les? The reduction in file size? I've clearly explained what the purpose is, and to be honest I would really expect that you recognise that it is for everyone's benefit. Something other than the file size reduction? What, exactly? We're drifting off-topic a bit, but I'm keen to find out exactly what it is that you're so unhappy about, just in case it's something that can easily be put right. Like the file size thing, for example, which is easy to resolve if only you'd stop stamping your feet about it!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A year or so back there was some change in the company that supply the service, I didn't pay much attention to it but remember it caused issues, I think it had to do with the loss of historic postings etc. However I'm stamping my feet, as you put it, now because of the file issue. I would have thought the idea would be to maintain standards rather that reduce service, maybe it would involve money but the club has raised subs and from what I can make out, is not on the breadline. Maybe most of this is out of your remit, and I don't want you to think your support is not recognised but as I mentioned before when you're used to things ticking along, what seemed to be nicely, it does make you wonder why, whatever it takes, isn't the attitude.

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

les wrote:A year or so back there was some change in the company that supply the service, I didn't pay much attention to it but remember it caused issues, I think it had to do with the loss of historic postings etc.
That was quite a bit longer than a year, but yes, I know what you're talking about. What had happened then, from what I am aware of (I wasn't involved in it) is that this board was running a very old version (like for example Windows 95 as opposed to the Windows 10 or maybe Windows 8 that you're using now). Being that old, it was no longer supported - in other words, issues that arose with it, including vulnerabilities, would not be fixed by the community that maintain the bulletin board software. Some of the code had been modified too, which is why I understand there were significant and lengthy issues with getting it updated by the company contracted to do it. In the process of updating it, I believe that some older postings lost their images, which was - here's me agreeing with you - an unmitigated disaster.

BUT, it had to be done, even though it was a bit of a thankless task for those involved. They were caught between a rock and a hard place - they knew they at least might lose some content, but to continue using an unsupported board was just as unthinkable - how could the club have told the members that they could have updated things but chose not to, and now the vulnerable board had been hacked and we'd lost all the content! The best simile I can come up with is to say that we had a veteran car that we wanted to do the London to Brighton in, and we had to perform some upgrades to make it actually work. My own view is that we would have been better off simply archiving that older content into something like a searchable pdf archive, and then setting a newer, better supported board running from this point forwards. We didn't do that though, and as I said, the loss is significant.
les wrote:However I'm stamping my feet, as you put it, now because of the file issue. I would have thought the idea would be to maintain standards rather that reduce service, maybe it would involve money but the club has raised subs and from what I can make out, is not on the breadline.
I've obviously not explained it well enough Les, because it's most definitely not about reducing service. It's about ensuring that pages load accurately, and with due deference to search engines desire for speed, but mostly it's about getting the best use from our resources. Imagine you saw a poster you liked, and it was for sale at various sizes. What we had been doing was to buy the biggest version they have, get it home, and then discover the space we have on the wall for it is only big enough for half the poster so we cut it in half and just put half up. Now what we're doing is going back to the retailer and asking for the smaller poster in the first place, which fits in the spot available for it. That's a hopeless simile but I can't think of a better one right now. The only thing that has to happen to make it 'work' is for our users to only upload modest sized files, and as I've said numerous times that's not a tricky thing to do once you've got used to it and it's good housekeeping for your own tablet, by using its hard drive space efficiently.
les wrote:Maybe most of this is out of your remit, and I don't want you to think your support is not recognised but as I mentioned before when you're used to things ticking along, what seemed to be nicely, it does make you wonder why, whatever it takes, isn't the attitude.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There's another good example of waste - my large sig file is displaying after every other post on this page, when really we only need any of our sig files once per page. That's something I'll change when the opportunity arises, and everyone's file will only show for the first time they post on each page. It's not 'lost', it's just better use of resources.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

The root of the proble Mike is that not everyone understands (or needs to) how a web page loads, you have gone to great lengths to explain it as if everyone knows.
If you had explained it in laymans terms you may have got your point across.
Just my twopenneth worth.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Trickydicky wrote:The root of the proble Mike is that not everyone understands (or needs to) how a web page loads, you have gone to great lengths to explain it as if everyone knows.

At last someone who can see why a lot of folk like myself feel left out and don't contribute any more with regards to pics etc. Spot on sir. :D
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Trickydicky wrote:The root of the proble Mike is that not everyone understands (or needs to) how a web page loads, you have gone to great lengths to explain it as if everyone knows.
Jesus wept :D . I get moaned at that I don't explain why something has happened, now I get moaned at that I do explain why something has happened? I thought I had explained it in laymans terms, but whatever, lesson learned, I'll go back to the way the board worked when I took over, when any threads asking about it were simply ignored - it's better for my blood pressure :roll: :oops:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I just remember a time not long ago when this site was a pleasure to log into.... ah well all good things as the saying goes. :(
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've recently been throwing my toys out of the pram over some issues but all things considered this is still a pretty good forum. It'll be even better when I get a handle on this photo business! :D