Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

POSTING A PHOTO

Post by philthehill »

Admin
What has happened to the conversation thread / instructions regarding posting photographs?
It appears to have disappeared completely overnight.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Re: POSTING A PHOTO

Post by les »

The file size available now seems to be 1 Mb but I'm still finding a 720kb file isn't accepted. Anyone know what the maximum file size was before this incident?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
I was posting photos of 1.56 MB without any difficulty.
I find it concerning that the posts/thread relating to posting a photo have/has now disappeared.
I also find it strange that this all came about without any warning or previous advice and what advice has been given has now gone.
I do not know what to make of it all!
Phil

Just tried posting a photo of 973KB without success.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, I felt sure the file size was very good and worked without fail before. I do hope we can regain the previous efficiency, photos make all the difference, especially if a poster is trying to provide a detailed explanation. Or indeed selling something!

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Testing this out. File size is 7.21kb. Dimensions are 100 x 77. Very small I know, but re-sized that way in the first place to send by android mobile email. Uploaded via PC from removable hard-drive WAAYYY to small !
DETAIL 2A.jpg
DETAIL 2A.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Last edited by palacebear on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1956 4-door called Max
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

And again... 138kb. Dimensions 600 x 463. Also uploaded via PC from removable hard-drive. That's better! :)
2.JPG
2.JPG (138.47 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Lucky you. :D I remember the days when you clicked on Add files, selected a picture, placed in line and Bingo.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

That's exactly what I did!
1956 4-door called Max
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There are many tutorials available online on how to resize and compress images. I did attempt to explain the process for people not familiar with it, but unfortunately that did not work: either the explanation was too complex, or the reader wasn't able to understand it, or some combination of the two. I think then that I'll not try to assist with that process again and simply suggest that people look at a tutorial from someone able to explain the process in easier steps.
Similarly there are lots of sites that permit you to upload a large file, either in file size or dimensions, and resize it to your chosen parameters, should you not have the facility to do so on your own computer. Files attached to posts on this forum can be up to 1600 pixels wide, and 1600 pixels tall. The maximum file size is 1MB. If you feel you have a picture that is within the limits of both of those parameters, please email it to me directly at admin@mmoc.org.uk and I will resolve the issue.

Phil, the previous thread has been removed as I didn't think the comments on it were constructive or helpful.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
tempaccount
MMOC Member: No

Post by tempaccount »

950k.jpg
950k.jpg (948.47 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Brand new posting account. Posted the above image with no problems.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Admin wrote:There are many tutorials available online on how to resize and compress images. I did attempt to explain the process for people not familiar with it, but unfortunately that did not work: either the explanation was too complex, or the reader wasn't able to understand it, or some combination of the two. I think then that I'll not try to assist with that process again and simply suggest that people look at a tutorial from someone able to explain the process in easier steps.
Similarly there are lots of sites that permit you to upload a large file, either in file size or dimensions, and resize it to your chosen parameters, should you not have the facility to do so on your own computer. Files attached to posts on this forum can be up to 1600 pixels wide, and 1600 pixels tall. The maximum file size is 1MB. If you feel you have a picture that is within the limits of both of those parameters, please email it to me directly at admin@mmoc.org.uk and I will resolve the issue.

Phil, the previous thread has been removed as I didn't think the comments on it were constructive or helpful.
Hi Mike.

I'm still trying to change my signature picture.

I gather I can now post the new pic and then link to it in the signature. But where do I post it?

Thanks in anticipation.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Hi Brian
To be honest, it doesn't overly matter, but there's a thread for it in the 'off topic' forum. File dimensions 860 px wide maximum by 265 px height maximum. Any problems at all, drop me a PM :)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Admin wrote:Hi Brian
To be honest, it doesn't overly matter, but there's a thread for it in the 'off topic' forum. File dimensions 860 px wide maximum by 265 px height maximum. Any problems at all, drop me a PM :)
Thanks Mike.

Will give it a shot.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I realise that there are many tools available for file reduction but it doesn't alter the fact that I have never needed to reduce in the past, whereas now it appears to be necessary. Something is not as it was!! ------- and for someone who's not a 10 year old, it's most annoying.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Admin
As regards the removal of the posts/thread.

I would not consider the thread to be unconstructive or unhelpful. It to me was a conversation of the process that needed to be aired and worked through and could be referred back too.

Anyway thankfully I have managed to work it out for myself.

Advance notice of the reduction in photo size would have been helpful though.

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Test
Hooray, so far so good (145 KB) but can't post at 720!
IMG_0985.JPG

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

philthehill wrote:Admin
As regards the removal of the posts/thread.

I would not consider the thread to be unconstructive or unhelpful. It to me was a conversation of the process that needed to be aired and worked through and could be referred back too.

Anyway thankfully I have managed to work it out for myself.

Advance notice of the reduction in photo size would have been helpful though.

Phil
Well, I'm sure we can agree to differ :D . I'm pleased that you've worked it out though, with or without the info supplied yesterday.

The previous file sizes that were uploaded created a strain not once, but twice. When somebody viewed a page which contained an oversized photo - and some pictures on the server are over 4MB - the browser has to 'render' the file ready to display it, and so load that whole 4MB plus the size of the page itself and any other images that might be on it, and THEN do the work of resizing the picture 'on the fly' to fit within the constraints of the page. That leads to significantly longer page load times (not only irritating for you to wait, but also a factor that Google uses now in ranking sites), but for absolutely no reward, because the image won't load larger than the page allows it to anyway. In an ideal world, the board would create various sizes of an image after it is uploaded, and choose which one to display depending on what the size is of the browser window that's calling the page, but that's beyond the abilities of the resources we're using now. Maybe that's something that we can look at further down the road.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Admin
Thank you for the update and input.
I have to say that the information in the update plus any relevant information should have been posted right at the beginning of the previous deleted thread and not now.
It would have eliminated any misconceptions and misunderstandings if there were any.
I am a great believer in giving all the relevant known facts as early as possible so as to allow contributors to this web site full scope to participate.
Anyway we are were we are and we will have to work with the revised limit.
Phil

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

As a member for some considerable time now and having a tourer that I'd love to put a picture of on this forum, I like many many people do not have either the knowledge or the patience to upload pictures on any type of internet sites Although I wouldn't go as far as to say that I am computer illiterate, I just don't have the interest as much as some people.. I use a pc in my work place and to interact on this forum and others from my own personal equipment at home. I don't think that I'll ever see the day that my tourer will grace these pages unless I get a friend to do it for me . The sooner things are made easy for those whom IT seems a very complicated format the better. Don't forget that there are those out there that are bamboozled when a bonnet of the most basic car is raised in front of them. And the worst thing for me is when I do ask for help for example in my work place , the first thing people explaining to me do is speak in terms I have either no knowledge about or never heard of. Not all of us are keyed up on pc knowledge but it's expected that we are. Horses for courses. :D
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Hi Budgie
I would be happy to add your photo for you in your signature if you should so desire. Email me at admin@mmoc.org.uk with a suitable picture and I will sort it for you.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster