Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Mot

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

My MOT expires on the 26/4 and the vehicle becomes exempt on the 20/5 . It is taxed and insured through both these dates . Do I need to declare SORN or just let the MOT expire . I would not use it during this gap . Reaon for not refreshing the MOT is its only covered two hundred miles since the last MOT due to welding , bad weather etc. DVLA and VOSA were both useless in their comments !
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mot

Post by greendefender123 »

You'll need to declare your car for it to become mot exempt. If your taking it off the road id just sorn to play it safe anyway. Its not like any money is involved and its all done online now.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Your Insurers will need to know your plans....best not to " loose " your cover because of " non disclosure of relevant facts " albeit for a few weeks.
Bob
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

greendefender123 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm You'll need to declare your car for it to become mot exempt. If your taking it off the road id just sorn to play it safe anyway. Its not like any money is involved and its all done online now.
Does everyone have to declare the new MOT status?
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Hi guys , not sure if your responses answers my query , but then neither could the Gov departments ! Thanks anyway !!
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

you dont need to do anything. when my mot ran out in 2013, I never bothered to test it again. why pay when I don't have to.

when it required tax, I did it online. the status said MOT EXEMPT without me having to do anything. I also didn't need to tell the insurance either. when I called to renew, I mentioned it and they said it didn't make any difference as it was now an exempt vehicle.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just to hi jack this tread,have been advised that new mot rule coming in soon will include engine management lights, reversing lights and age related fails on tyres plus a few other minor bits ,also new categories .Pass,pass with advisories.fail,and too dangerous to drive away from that centre with the authority to retain the vehicle(Allegedly) although my mot tester says he dosent know how he would do that if this new test comes in , The management light will cause a few head aches I had a Nissan which no one could say which bit of the electronics were holding the light on,every time it was on a diagnostic it showed a different fault but ran perfectly so would now be a fail and scrap,with the new system.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My dad has a 1927 Austin Seven Chummy and when the no MOT for the pre 1960 vehicles came in he went to the Post Office when his road tax was due and he filled in a form to say it was MOT exempt.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Remember not all modified vehicles will be mot exempt. Unless you need to them theyre not then. Some already exempt pre 60 now wont be mot exempt if theyre modified. Its all online to read.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

viewsonic1 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:22 pm
greendefender123 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm You'll need to declare your car for it to become mot exempt. If your taking it off the road id just sorn to play it safe anyway. Its not like any money is involved and its all done online now.
Does everyone have to declare the new MOT status?
Thats how i read it yes. How would they know if it complies otherwise? All pre 60s vehicles became exempt but thats not the case this time.
jpallis001
Minor Friendly

Post by jpallis001 »

Do the new regulations mean that all post production, convertibles (converted saloons) , that have been converted in the past 30 years, will now need an annual MOT? Might be useful for the Club to obtain a clarification on this?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

jpallis001 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:53 am Do the new regulations mean that all post production, convertibles (converted saloons) , that have been converted in the past 30 years, will now need an annual MOT? Might be useful for the Club to obtain a clarification on this?
No i think convertible conversions are seen as ok as convertibles were a model aswell.
It dosent make much sense to me really.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Have a read through this. Tho it only answers some questions.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... V1w304UDRZ
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 pm My MOT expires on the 26/4 and the vehicle becomes exempt on the 20/5 . It is taxed and insured through both these dates . Do I need to declare SORN or just let the MOT expire . I would not use it during this gap . Reaon for not refreshing the MOT is its only covered two hundred miles since the last MOT due to welding , bad weather etc. DVLA and VOSA were both useless in their comments !
It appears that if you just let the last MOT expire you cannot automatically apply for MOT exemption on or after the 20th May. The DVLA appear to state that MOT exemption (that comes into effect ) from 20/5/2018 has to be claimed at the point and time of the vehicles next due tax renewal date ?.

So my query would be if you to-day decided to put your vehicle on a SORN (in order to wait until the 20/5) does the DVLA consider this 'un-taxing' your vehicle. The point then is that if you renew your tax from the 20/5 are you able to then make your declaration for tax exemption as tecnically you are taking out a new fresh tax period ? The DVLA don't seem to cover this scenario it their official guidance blurb.

My MOT has just expired and I have similarly covered hardly any miles over this last particular year for various family reasons and I was actually thinking of putting my car on a SORN and wait until the 20/5. However I have had so much unclear and confusing information and I would actually like to have availabiilty to drive the car in the end that I have simply booked the car in for an MOT on Monday, looking forward to being able to legally drive at any point over the next few weeks. I think then I will probably voluntarily have an MOT every 2 years.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

That is the situation I am in and DVLA were useless in their comments regarding this situation . Your solution to have the vehicle MOT’d would appear to initially solve the issue .
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yes putting the vehicle on sorn is untaxing it. You'd need to tax it again to use it. Well aslong as you've moted it or applied for exemption after the 20th of may. Of course you need insurance aswell.
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm That is the situation I am in and DVLA were useless in their comments regarding this situation . Your solution to have the vehicle MOT’d would appear to initially solve the issue .
I had only renewed the cars tax last month anyway and the suggestion has been as a consequence I could not officially apply for tax exemption until another 11 months (and taking out a SORN would have had no bearing on this ) ????? Clear as mud ! :roll:

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

LobbyLudd wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 pm
Shropshiremoggie wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm That is the situation I am in and DVLA were useless in their comments regarding this situation . Your solution to have the vehicle MOT’d would appear to initially solve the issue .
I had only renewed the cars tax last month anyway and the suggestion has been as a consequence I could not officially apply for tax exemption until another 11 months (and taking out a SORN would have had no bearing on this ) ????? Clear as mud ! :roll:
Sorry correction 'MOT exception' its making me brain :roll: even more muddled

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'm still a little in the dark regarding declaring MOT exemption status. My '56 car which should have been MOT exempt for some years now, still can't be taxed without a valid MOT certificate.

Today I contacted the DVSA (formerly known as VOSA) and dragged the following info from them.

For the benefit of any other confused souls, here it is:

MOT exemption can be declared when the road tax is renewed. It can only be done at an appropriate Post Office (not on-line yet). Documents required are as follows:
V11 Vehicle tax reminder. V112 Declaration of MOT exemption (downloadable from the DVLA website). V5C with correct name/address. Valid insurance certificate.
MOT exemption can't be applied for if the vehicle is being kept or placed on a SORN; only when being taxed for the road.

My local MOT testing station confirms that their understanding of it all matches the above info. Hope it helps!
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks PB , you seem to have progressed further than I have . The issue I have is that my current Tax expires on 1/4/2019 but my MOT expires on 25/4/2018 !! As these dates do not coincide should I declare SORN until the exemption becomes live next month and then retax the car as it would be MOT exempt ??