Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rjt1951
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Drivers Arm Rest

Post by rjt1951 »

Has anyone ever fitted arm rests to the front doors on a Minor 1000. If so what was used, would need to look period.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Drivers Arm Rest

Post by palacebear »

IIRC most of the BMC B-Series Farina models had them. With careful shopping around, you'd probably find a pair from a Morris Oxford 6 that were even the colour you wanted.

Not sure how you'd fit them. I can't imagine the door card alone will be robust enough to support heavy elbows leaning on them!
1956 4-door called Max
rjt1951
Minor Fan

Post by rjt1951 »

Good thinking, thank you. Would need to drill through to door structure and tap into that. Just thinking they would be good for long drives.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Issigonis would have a fit. Keep both hands on the wheel, pay attention, be alert at all times; don't even have the distraction of a radio!

That said, if you have a look at the rear quarter panel of a 2-door saloon you'll see how the arm rest there is made and it should be a simple matter to adapt that style and modify your door card to position an arm rest perfectly for your own comfort.
rjt1951
Minor Fan

Post by rjt1951 »

Heaven forbid I should upset the great man. Always have both hands on the wheel and never use the radio as engine noise makes it impossible to hear anyway. It was just a thought but too scared now to tamper with his masterpiece and would not want to take the originality away. I seem to remember my Morris 1100 had them back in the daybut hay ho I can live without!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Being rather generously proportioned, I invariably rest my elbow on the armrest in my modern (whilst keeping both hands on the wheel). Lately I've had a persistent ache in my right arm whilst driving, but never in my Moggie. Presumably the armrest In the modern is causing pressure somewhere... :(
1956 4-door called Max
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

Though smoking was an acceptable distraction in his mind. Make sure any fasteners don't foul the glass. Pre-Series V 2 doors had the arm rest formed in the side panel for the rear seat.