Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pasquale
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

engine oil

Post by pasquale »

Hi I need to change engine oil in my pick up, at the moment I have used the classic range from halford in 5lt can. I dont have any problem with that, but having 1 traveller, 1 pick up, and 2 other classic Im looking to get a 25lt drum,
Can someone suggest a suppliers or a shop where i can find it?
Thanks
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: engine oil

Post by paul 300358 »

Have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-COMMA-CL ... Swr~lYoeVo I think that its the same but without Halfords written on the front.
sirrom918
Minor Friendly

Post by sirrom918 »

Morris Lubricants can supply their Vintage & Classic Vehicles Golden Film SAE 20w-50 Classic Motor Oil in 25lt drums.

https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.u ... r-oil.html
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Classic Oils at the Bicester Heritage centre sell the excellent Morris Oils 20/50 in 5l and 25l containers. They'll send it for a fee I think.
Steve_k
Minor Friendly

Post by Steve_k »

www.opieoils.co.uk offer a good range at reasonable prices. :D
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Ian Jones »

Hello All

As well as the viscosity of the oil, it is important to use one with the correct detergent package. My 1935 Austin 10 has no oil filter and was designed so that the solids picked up by the oil settled out and weren't recirculated causing more wear. I use a non-detergent oil in this car as detergent oils are designed to keep solids in suspension, to be caught in a filter. The Minor 1000 has a full flow filter and so was presumably designed to use a detergent oil. Some 20w50 oils are non-detergent, some are medium and some are high detergent. This is detailed in the oil spec sheet. The only warning I would give is that if the engine has been run on a non-detergent oil for years, changing to detergent will loosen sediments which hypothetically could block oilways.

Each to their own, but I'll be using a 20w50 with a med or high detergent package and high Zinc (ZDDP), such as Penrite Classic, Millers Pistoneze or Classic Oils own brand. Comma, Castrol, Halfords and Morris are all low detergent oils.

The only point I'm trying to make is that there is more to oil choice than simply the viscosity.

Regards

Ian
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I specifically asked that question on an antique auto forum in regards to non-detergent oil in a non-filtered engine. A very confident response was no. The dirt that settles out settles everywhere. The person had worked on engines where oil passages were closed due to settled dirt.