Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

New member from Bury North Manchester

Post by Murrayminor »

Hi all
I have recently acquired a 1965 Morris Minor 1000, Joined the club and was directed to this forum.
I have never owned a Minor before but have some experience with Mini's and the A series engine (Bypass hose springs to mind) having owned a few in the past (1275GT, Clubman, Rover Mini, GTM kit car etc) I have also owned a few other classics over the years, Hillman Imps (a few of those), VW Beetles, a couple of MG Midgets etc.
So I recently decided to get rid of my MX5's so I sold them and bought a Minor.
I drove it home and to say it was a bit of an experience was an understatement, the brakes were terrible, the lack of syncro in first, the total lack of speed, the noises coming from seemingly everywhere, the drivers door popped open whilst driving all in all the best experience I have had in ages in a car.
I grinned all the way home.
The car has even gained a name (something I normally never do) she is now called "Gracie" because she is Grey and a "C" reg.
So Gracie is safely tucked up in my garage, overall she looks presentable although I know she has had a recent repaint but looking beyond that I can see she will require some work doing in the near future.
So That's me and Gracie.
I will no doubt have lots of questions, the first may well be about improving the brakes, I have been told an 8" front drum set up is available but I will do some research into the standard set up first.
Regards
Dermot.
Last edited by Murrayminor on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: New member from Bury North Manchester

Post by Murrayminor »

Gracie blank.jpg
Gracie blank.jpg (470.58 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome!! :D

Yours is a late car so will already have the 8inch drums brakes. Its worth giving the whole system a thorough check over to make sure nothing is sticking or seized and then fit Mintex shoes, you should notice a great improvement. The back brake drums are very prone to sticking if the cars sits about for any length of time.

Too many Minors so little time.....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Dermot and welcome :D Looks a very nice car .
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Dermot and welcome :D Looks a very nice car .
Conrad
MMOC Member: No

Post by Conrad »

Hi reading your post was very interesting, iv just brought a 1955 series 11 but live in New Zealand and also have an MX5.
I hope you did not sell the MX5 to fund the Moggy. Anyhow great to read your story...thanks for sharing and good luck with Gracy :)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Thanks for the welcomes.
The car has been painted so is more than likely hiding some horrors.
If it stays together for another two years then it will be treated to a decent restoration.
I did indeed get rid of the mx5 to buy Gracie, the mx5 was too reliable and I like to tinker.