Expensive Traveller at Aston Workshop.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Expensive Traveller at Aston Workshop.

Post by Mark Wilson »

BrianHawley wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but hadn’t the warning stencilled on the radiator top been dropped by then?
Shown on the engine bay for a 62-71 Minor 1000 in Ray Newell's "Original Morris Minor", but not clear how late that one is. None on the 56-62 1000. Be nice to know before I go to the trouble of stencilling one on my late 1970 Traveller.....
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Mark Wilson wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am
BrianHawley wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but hadn’t the warning stencilled on the radiator top been dropped by then?
Shown on the engine bay for a 62-71 Minor 1000 in Ray Newell's "Original Morris Minor", but not clear how late that one is. None on the 56-62 1000. Be nice to know before I go to the trouble of stencilling one on my late 1970 Traveller.....
Yes I was going to put one on my 67 Traveller last year, but someone told me that was inappropriate.

Anyone know the years?
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
j.davis200
Minor Friendly

Post by j.davis200 »

This car has been infected by the Aston Martin sales hype - those cars are selling (or at least on offer) at ten times their value a few years ago, and to those buyers this looks like a little cheap bauble to amuse the wife until she gets tired of having to wind down the window and goes back to the SL. Of course she may be charmed by it's real honest merit and convert, indeed she might stop using the 6 grand handbag and get a straw basket too....
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

At the risk of becoming viewed as a Radiator Stencil obsessive, I've Googled as many images as I can, and the one I'm attaching seems to show a fairly original engine bay (apart from the battery cut out and the fuel filter) identical in equipment to my 1970 Adderley Park traveller. No evidence of any stencil, so unless anyone has any more info that's how mine is staying!

(I know this is rambling off the original thread, wanted to PM Brian with this, but PM's now won't allow photo attachments...)
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (52.87 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Mark Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am At the risk of becoming viewed as a Radiator Stencil obsessive, I've Googled as many images as I can, and the one I'm attaching seems to show a fairly original engine bay (apart from the battery cut out and the fuel filter) identical in equipment to my 1970 Adderley Park traveller. No evidence of any stencil, so unless anyone has any more info that's how mine is staying!

(I know this is rambling off the original thread, wanted to PM Brian with this, but PM's now won't allow photo attachments...)
Have seen the post thanks Mark.

I agree. No evidence of stencil on 67 or later cars.
Brian

squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

squire wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:36 am
philthehill wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm The original engine steady bar is not welded to the underside of the battery tray - it is bolted on and its fitment was an after thought by BMC which usually leads to the steady bracket cracking the battery support. BMC did not put much thought into the design of the steady bar and mountings and the same can be said of the gearbox steady cable fitment(s).
Whilst the Grumpy's engine steady bar is not a factory original item it is a much better means of steadying the engine than that originally fitted.
I thought they were welded on later cars, I'll have a look at my 1970 traveller when I get chance. However, bolted or welded on is not the point I'm light heartedly trying to make, for £36000 I would have thought something like that would have been put right when the car was restored as it would lose marks in concours events if that's your thing. All the prices on the cars are silly money tbh, but if they sell them then good luck to them, just my thoughts that's all.
Having remembered to look at my 1970 one previous owner traveller the engine steady bracket looks like it was welded on at the factory, there are no signs of repair/re-welded nor any bolt holes, however I don't doubt the Grumpys type of steady may be better
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

Mark Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am At the risk of becoming viewed as a Radiator Stencil obsessive, I've Googled as many images as I can, and the one I'm attaching seems to show a fairly original engine bay (apart from the battery cut out and the fuel filter) identical in equipment to my 1970 Adderley Park traveller. No evidence of any stencil, so unless anyone has any more info that's how mine is staying!

I've owned my 1970 Traveller (Trafalgar Blue) since 1989, and it has never had a radiator stencil warning either. Somehow, I've survived this long without it! :lol:

Also, my engine steady bracket was welded to the bulkhead, though I had to re-weld it after it cracked a few years back.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Chipper wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 pm

I've owned my 1970 Traveller (Trafalgar Blue) since 1989, and it has never had a radiator stencil warning either. Somehow, I've survived this long without it! :lol:

Also, my engine steady bracket was welded to the bulkhead, though I had to re-weld it after it cracked a few years back.
Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Although a lot is known about changes over the years, it seems there are still some unknown areas to be explored.
Brian

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am not convinced that the tie bar body bracket (Pt No: ACA5143) is or was latterly factory welded to the body.
I think that there is a mis-match of what constitutes the tie bar bracket.
The vertical metal support bracket (no part number given in the BMC parts list but listed as Pt No: 400231 in the modification instructions) under the front of the battery box pre-dates the engine steady bracket. The vertical metal support bracket had to be drilled and the steady bracket fitted as part of the modification when fitting the engine steady bar. See BMC Wkso Man Section AA, Fig: AA29 for details.
See Minor Matters Vol 39 No: 6 page 20 (current issue) for an under bonnet picture of the engine bay - the engine steady bracket can be clearly seen to be bolted into place on the rear of the battery box support bracket - the van is a late 'K' registration.

The battery box support (there are two) bracket is spot welded to the top of the main front damper mounting cross member and the underside of the battery box. Whilst the engine steady body bracket is bolted to the O/S battery box support bracket the battery box support bracket is not the engine steady bracket.

Phil

bigboy
Minor Friendly

Post by bigboy »

Barmy,like most for sale.I understand a lot of work and time goes into these cars but they are just not worth the money what people are asking.Even original one's.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I agree, but if someone will pay that kind of money you can't blame people for trying...
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

SteveClem wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:56 pm I agree, but if someone will pay that kind of money you can't blame people for trying...
True.

It’s buyers who determine prices, not sellers.
Brian

leafie

Post by leafie »

A car for somebody with the money and not prepared to wait for a fresh restoration at £24-£26k from one of the big restoration people?

I seem to remember a trafalgar blue traveller selling for around £23k at brightwells auction a few months back.
squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

philthehill wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am I am not convinced that the tie bar body bracket (Pt No: ACA5143) is or was latterly factory welded to the body.
The vertical metal support bracket (no part number given in the BMC parts list but listed as Pt No: 400231 in the modification instructions) under the front of the battery box pre-dates the engine steady bracket. The vertical metal support bracket had to be drilled and the steady bracket fitted as part of the modification when fitting the engine steady bar. See BMC Wkso Man Section AA, Fig: AA29 for details.
See Minor Matters Vol 39 No: 6 page 20 (current issue) for an under bonnet picture of the engine bay - the engine steady bracket can be clearly seen to be bolted into place on the rear of the battery box support bracket - the van is a late 'K' registration.

The battery box support (there are two) bracket is spot welded to the top of the main front damper mounting cross member and the underside of the battery box. Whilst the engine steady body bracket is bolted to the O/S battery box support bracket the battery box support bracket is not the engine steady bracket.

Phil
Hi Phil,
You know more about Minors than I ever will, no doubt about that. With respect, the engine steady bracket on the van in Minor Matters is bolted as can be seen in the refurbished photo, the photo above does not show it at all nor any holes for bolting it in. Mine was welded from factory and Brian Hawley also states that his 1970 traveller has the bracket welded on originally although he has had to re-weld it. It would appear that there is no rhyme or reason whether later Minors were bolted or welded. When I've got my anorak on at rallies I'll have to pay attention to other Minors. Good God I'm getting sad in my old age, lol 🙄
Regards,
Martyn
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

We really need a separate thread about engine steady bar mountings; but to throw in my experience: I've had Minors up to around 1965 with bolted on brackets, and currently a 1968 Panda, 1969 Traveller and a 1970 Traveller, all with welded from new brackets. The 1970 is Aderley Park, the others Cowley; I can't be precise about the 1965, and I'm not suggesting that was a cut-off. To complicate things even further, I have been guilty on another car of taking a cracked welded bracket and fitting a bolt on one as it was easier than cleaning everything up for welding and then repainting. Clearly there's a whole research project waiting to be explored...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Simmitc
I have started a separate thread regarding the engine steady.
Phil

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

squire wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm
philthehill wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am I am not convinced that the tie bar body bracket (Pt No: ACA5143) is or was latterly factory welded to the body.

Phil
Hi Phil,
You know more about Minors than I ever will, no doubt about that. With respect, the engine steady bracket on the van in Minor Matters is bolted as can be seen in the refurbished photo, the photo above does not show it at all nor any holes for bolting it in. Mine was welded from factory and Brian Hawley also states that his 1970 traveller has the bracket welded on originally although he has had to re-weld it. It would appear that there is no rhyme or reason whether later Minors were bolted or welded. When I've got my anorak on at rallies I'll have to pay attention to other Minors. Good God I'm getting sad in my old age, lol 🙄
Regards,
Martyn
Mistaken identity mate.

It wasn’t me who said the steady was welded.
Brian