Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
burnham28
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Convertible MOT

Post by burnham28 »

I have been thinking of purchasing a convertible to go with my Panda. I'm not too bothered about it being a factory manufactured one or a converted saloon one, but if it's a converted one would I have to have it MOTd every year as it may be classified as structurally altered.
[img]jpg[/img]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Convertible MOT

Post by geoberni »

As I understand it, especially reading this info
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-criteria

I think the answer would be YES.

The Minor is a monocoque construction as I understand the definition "a monocoque vehicle consists of a single, structural component where the exterior skin of the vehicle provides the bulk of the structural integrity".

That link specifies
Monocoque bodyshell

Replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered to be a substantial change (including any sub-frames).
So converting it from Saloon to Soft Top is a 'Substantial Change'

all that said, if it was done long enough ago and DVLA have no idea of the significance of Chassis Numbers prefixes, whose to say it's been changed....
If the Log Book says Convertible, why would anyone who's not a Minor Geek, have reason think it had been anything other than that... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Convertible MOT

Post by geoberni »

Just an update on this, the Minor Matters that dropped onto the doormat today has an article about MOT exemptions on p33.

It points out a few things, one of which is that the legislation does permit 'substantial changes' which are over 30 yr old to be disregarded, so if you brought a 'converted convertible' and have evidence of the work being over 30 yrs ago, you'd probably be OK.

Might be worth giving the MMOC office a call for any further info they can provide.
Basil the 1955 series II