Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Bulkhead copper rivets

Post by Mark Wilson »

Back in the mists of time when I dismantled my Traveller I removed ten copper split rivets from the bulkhead, and amazingly I haven't lost them. They were presumably intended to fix a parcel shelf and/or sound insulation, neither of which were present when I acquired it. What I can't remember or work out is how they were fixed. They appear to have been push fitted, as the ends aren't deformed. Were they were inserted from inside the car or from the engine bay side?

Logic suggests that they would have been inserted from within the car, through the parcel shelf lip, but I've looked at a lot of engine bay pictures and can't see any definite evidence of protruding rivet ends.

Mark
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Bulkhead copper rivets

Post by jaekl »

The insulation is held on with copper push rivets into a 1/4 inch hole. The parcel shelf is held in with split rivets and washers along the upper edge of the engine bay cross member as well as the underside of the battery box. It sounds like you are talking about the former.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bulkhead copper rivets

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks - that makes sense now. Suspect it's going to be fun fitting the bifurcated rivets unless I recruit another pair of hands!