Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Scissor lifts - any good for a Moggy?

Post by Oldmogman »

Has anyone used a scissor lift for a Moggy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISS ... 4049928169

It supports the car in the middle but I'm not sure it would align with the Morris chassis members, and I doubt whether the saloon's floor would be strong enough.

Also, I wonder how stable it might be in use.
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Scissor lifts - any good for a Moggy?

Post by Nickol »

I purchased such a lift a year ago. Best investment I ever made. The central pivot on the lift link you gave seems a bit risky to me. When the car is up in the air could it not tilt if not perfectly balanced? My Traveller drives easily over the ramps and the wheels are on the ground front and back. Four provided rubber supports ca 15 x 12 x 3cm thick are placed on the ramps to line up with the "chassis" strong points. The whole car is then lifted safely as you hear the ratchet locking devices clicking into position.
My garage is not very high, only 2,2m so you have to make an allowance for the fact that to lower the lift, it first raises itself in order to release the safety ratchet before coming down. So I have to keep an eye open when raising to allow sufficient clearance for its descent.

But a really great tool for working underneath even though the max lift is only about 90 to 100cm, so you cannot walk under it.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mobile-Kurzhub- ... :rk:8:pf:0
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Scissor lifts - any good for a Moggy?

Post by Monty-4 »

I bought one the same as the one linked in the original post recently. At its narrowest setting the lifting parts act on the chassis legs so not risking the sills or floor. As such it's useful for most things with the exception of master cyclinder or gearbox drops as the lift assembly gets in the way somewhat.

I'd recommend calling the company up and having a chat about widths if you're concerned.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.