MMOC Member: Yes

Mmmmm

Post by arnoldsally »

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Re: Mmmmm

Post by Blaketon »

I think it's time that people realised that there are too many people on the planet, some wishing to consume too much and too many need to travel too far, at the same time, to the same places. If reductions are to be acheived, the great mass of such people have to alter their ways and if every Minor was fitted with an electric motor, it would have little effect.

There is also the obsession with the exhaust pipe and the assumption that no exhaust pipe means no pollution. Similarly smokeless fuel was anything but smokeless in Abercwmboi (I remember how everything over there was grey and how the trees were stunted). Neither electricity nor batteries grow on trees. In considering carbon footprint, the whole vehicle life must be considered, just as with anything else. I am in the bike trade and modern aluminum and carbon fibre framed bikes are less durable, than older steel framed bikes. Since many of today's cyclists are primarily interest in vanity and fashion, there is no longer any wish to buy a frame for life, as was once the case. How many people would presume a bicycle to create no pollution?

I often feel that people are happy to be green, so long as it doesn't inconvenience them or cramp their style. Imagine if there was a carbon ration for everyone and if you jetted off to the Sun too often, it would mean walking to work or a coat on in the house. I am reminded of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntbq1smn-OE - Clapham Common, so I'll be near the shops sums it up.
Attachments
Abercwmboi.jpg
Abercwmboi.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Last edited by Blaketon on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’ve just read your Flowchart post, now this. You must be having a real bad day!! :o

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I worked in the coal mining industry for most of my life and there is a naturally smokeless fuel. Anthracite, only found in South Wales UK wise, at least in commercial quantities. Still releases fossil CO2 when burnt though.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

les wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:15 pm I’ve just read your Flowchart post, now this. You must be having a real bad day!! :o
Not really; it could be worse. I could be as daft as the people using the flow charts or have to work somewhere like that. Anyway, tomorrow is my day off and I have my mother's MGB GT in my garage and it's a nice car to work on :D .
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:44 pm I worked in the coal mining industry for most of my life and there is a naturally smokeless fuel. Anthracite, only found in South Wales UK wise, at least in commercial quantities. Still releases fossil CO2 when burnt though.
My late grandfather was a pit deputy or "Fireman" in his day. He was in the Gwent valleys, where I think bituminous predominated. Anthracite was more down the Neath area. He had a level for some years and I still have a chart of his. I work just outside the coalfield, which is inside a limestone bowl and as I cycled home, across the limestone boundary, I passed a hollow where one of the seams outcrops. It was supposed to be a good seam; known as the Sun Vein seam.