Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Remember the scrappage scheme?

Post by Dryad »

I've just found this video filmed last year of hundreds of cars accepted under the scrappage scheme back in 2009/10. They still exist! I counted at least ten Minors, including a pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhUGMrWCqyg

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Remember the scrappage scheme?

Post by les »

I thought the cars under that scheme were not to be broken for spares. Looks like I was wrong.

Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Perhaps people have been raiding them at night. It certainly looks like some have been done. What a waste though.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Maybe but money talks!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

We had a main Ford dealer who had a salesman who made a lot of money selling cars off the scrappage scheme :evil:
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

What a crying shame all those good cars going to be scrapped , I am restoring a minor at present which llooks to be in a worse state than the minors in the video.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I bet a lot of perfectly decent Minors went down the scrappage scheme route - some people would sell their own grandmothers! :-?
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Yes, I remember at the time seeing several ads for Minors at inflated prices and in the description "If not sold then it will go into the scrappage scheme", which is just another way of saying 'give me three times what the car is worth or the Minor gets it'. Shameful.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I think a case of pure politics and we all know that where politics and facts conflict, politics prevail.
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

Unfortunate thing about the scrappage scheme was that it was a con by the main dealers. The £2000 knocked off the dealer price in exchange for your old banger was around the same amount a discounter was cutting the price. I remember Perry's had new fiat panda dynamic (1.2) for exactly £2000 off list price at the time, and you could have driven the old banger down to the discounter and got a little bit of part exchange into the deal. So the main dealer got a helping hand of £1000 off the government, which they didn't need, and weren't really giving the customer a good deal.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

what a waste :evil:
a good number of those ex-owners will be deeply regretting weighing in their Moggy/Herald/Beetle/Daimler/MG etc etc,now or in the near future,for some worthless piece of junk,that has probably already fell to pieces.shame on them :evil: