Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Ethanol Vs Fuel Sender.

Post by RobThomas »

That's 2 senders sticking at half-full in just a couple of months. Has anyone else had this happen? Both times I thought I had loads of fuel but ran out.

For anyone having this problem and not having a gasket, 70mm OD, 50mm ID and bolt pattern is 6 x 60mm. Strange choice of metric dimensions.

I also had to de-crud one fuel tank that was filled with non-magnetic dust. All washed out with boiling wter an a few hundred grammes of Citric Acid powder. The gauze inside is now spotlessly clean and the car no longer stutters at the end of a long straight due to fuel starvation
sender1.png
sender1.png (933.25 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
tank2.png
tank2.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1632 times
sender2.png
sender2.png (1008.75 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
Cardiff, UK
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ethanol Vs Fuel Sender.

Post by jaekl »

I've had it with cars sitting for a while. It takes just a little push to get them moving again but a full tank and bouncy won't move them. I think it;s the unleaded which has a lot of additives that leave a sticky residue.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Not had these problems but the MG Car Club have been running a long series of test results, on ethanol in fuel (Includes comparison with Sunuco "Classic" fuel) and if anyone would like a copy, please let me know. Recently a scientist, with experience in the world of fuel, has told me that Shell Super unleaded as no ethanol in it.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Blaketon wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm Not had these problems but the MG Car Club have been running a long series of test results, on ethanol in fuel (Includes comparison with Sunuco "Classic" fuel) and if anyone would like a copy, please let me know. Recently a scientist, with experience in the world of fuel, has told me that Shell Super unleaded as no ethanol in it.
I'd quite like a copy of the MG Car Club report please.

Also, when you say Shell Super unleaded are you referring to their regular unleaded or their V-Power product?

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

PM me your email address and I'll send a zip file. As to the Shell fuel, it's their super unleaded, which I think they call V Power.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Blaketon wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm PM me your email address and I'll send a zip file. As to the Shell fuel, it's their super unleaded, which I think they call V Power.
I tried to PM you but your account has disabled private message receipt.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Don't know why that was.......or why I'm shown as not being a member of MMOC :-? . Anyway I've fixed the message issue if not the issue of membership. Computer related things can be a law unto themselves, which is why I don't own a modern car.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Shell have advised that ALL their unleaded fuel can contain up to 5% ethanol.
mattyb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mattyb »

ESSO "Synergy supreme plus 97" does not contain any Ethanol (according to the Esso website ) - link attached

https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs

from the above link

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

Our Synergy Fuels:
Diesel
Supreme+ Diesel
Unleaded
Supreme+ Unleaded

I put "stabil" fuel stabiliser in everything now - all my cars- lawnmowers - chainsaws etc etc