Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

New Rear Spring Kits For Traveller

Post by pgp001 »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any comments good or bad regarding rear leaf spring kits available from the well known usual suppliers.
Looking back over similar posts it seems new springs were reported as starting to sag and lose their set after a few months use.

Was this just a short term quality problem that has now been sorted, or are they all still as bad. ?
I have been in touch with Rossendale springs, but I just cannot justify spending £565 on two springs, and then even more on the rest of the hardware and bushes etc.

I'm not asking you to bad mouth anyone publicly, just send me a PM if that is the case please.

Thanks
Phil
simmitc

Re: New Rear Spring Kits For Traveller

Post by simmitc »

I've had a few poor springs from a coup[le of different suppliers. I approached a couple of genuine british manufacturers and, like you, found that the cost really was, regretably, prohibitive. Four years ago I fitted a pair of these: http://www.gsjones.co.uk/traveller-part ... v-x-2.html and so far haven't had any problems.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Phil
It's the same old story , the quality just isn't there these days , what is the problem with your old springs?

John :wink:
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

GSJones are one of the few companies that have a decent reputation in the Land Rover world, seems like they might over here as well.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

My set of saloon springs from a well known supplier in East Sussex are fine after four and a half years. If anything they took a long time to soften.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

agree with Monty here - my springs that I fit on my traveller a year and a half ago are not sagging in the least. I'm very happy with the results. usual east sussex supplier
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Thanks for the advice guys, I have just ordered a kit from the East Sussex area.

Phil
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

OK
So I now have a complete new spring kit. Should I lubricate the springs prior to fitting them ?

The engineer in me says absolutely yes, take them to bits and lubricate between the leaves and then re-assemble and paint them before fitting. But I have also read that it is a bad idea because the lubricant might mix with road crud and turn into grinding paste.

I do have a big tin of Foliac dry graphite powder and was wondering if I could finally put that to good use somehow. What is the thinking of those in the know about this please.

Thanks
Phil
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Phil
If you're going to use it , in all conditions , I'd strip and lubricate and then wrap with denso tape ( or similar ) , but if it's a summer show queen there's no need...

John :wink: