Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Mud Plugging

Post by millerman »

Not sure if this link works http://bit.ly/2WqLdk0 but a very interesting Youtube video of the 1963 VSCC Rally at Presteigne.

Nice idea for a Minor Rally especially in the Presteigne/Mid-Wales area where the roads are quiet!

Who's up for it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Mud Plugging

Post by philthehill »

The station yard at Presteigne has all been swept way and covered in housing.
The lanes around Presteigne, New Radnor and up towards Lingen are indeed very nice but now not as quite as when I used to visit the area in the 1970s in my Minor 1000 and on my motorbike.
Note the Morris van at 3min 24sec.

millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Phil, you have a very good knowledge on my old home territory!
We must meet sone time to discuss
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My all time favorite house and the one that if I could have afforded it way back then was at the top of the very very steep lane past the entrance to New Radnor Railway Station and turn left at the top and there it was in the most perfect location with a superb view over the valley towards Dolyhir and Kington but even that has changed.

My fascination with the area started when looking for the remains of the Kington Tramway of which the New Radnor branch was an extension on from Kington. I can remember the railway quite well and used to go past it on the A44 on my way to Aberystwyth.
I did quite a few green lanes around New Radnor way back then so got to know the area well.

A photo (photographer unknown) of Dolyhir when the railway line was cut back from New Radnor to Dolyhir quarry.
Dolyhir 4.jpg
Dolyhir 4.jpg (285.73 KiB) Viewed 889 times
If you are ever in Hampshire it would be good to meet up.

Phil