Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Keeping a Minor Outdoors

Post by ManyMinors »

For myself, I wouldn't even consider paying all that money for a garage a mile away and with no power! Our Minor is used most days and has lived for the last 10years on our driveway. I have never had any sort of cover for it. When it rains the car gets wet but it soon dries out again. and despite being a convertible, it never really lets any water inside the car. I have been careful over the years to replace the occasional leaking seal. I keep the car reasonably clean and I have also applied waxoyl around the underside which has kept that in good order. It is in very presentable condition and has never required any rust repairs or welding and still shows very minimal rust around the car. Over the last 10 years I would have spent £9600.00 on renting an inconvenient garage on that basis :o . Would that be good value? I really don't think so :wink: By the way, my insurers are also quite happy for the car to be kept outside. I don't think it added anything to the premium. That would probably depend on your insurer as well as whereabouts in the country you live.
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

If a car is used regularly it will cope better with being outside but I can say that in the days when I could only keep one car inside (When I still lived with my parents), the outside car didn't keep so well. Once I bought my house, which then had an old prefab garage, the outside car kept a lot better (Then I built the garage I have now and the Midget moved in). Condensation is a real polish stripper; it's not just rain. Consider two things:-

1 - If a car is always garaged, it is mentioned as a selling point.

2 - I think you'll find most concours winners are garaged.

I have owned my MG Midget for 35 years. This photo was taken in 2017. It's in good order. That is the result of being kept indoors.
Attachments
19 11 17 sml.jpg
19 11 17 sml.jpg (140.54 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Blaketon wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 pm You haven't said why you have no garage where you live. Sometimes, if you have a suitable offroad space, that doesn't lend itself to a conventional garage, there are alternatives, such as https://www.gazebox.net/ .
This website doesn't give prices that I can see but I suspect that even at £960 a year it will take a while to pay for one of these!

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Possibly but at least you own the thing, having paid out you money. I have never had to consider this kind of compromise but I had an idea for something compact, that would cover the car. If you had a framework, just big enough to cover the car (And kept down by the weight of the car), with four light weight removable sides, that would offer the vehicle protection and not take up too much space.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

‘If you had a framework’. I had this thought a while ago and even went as far as scrounging some old metal tubes from a gazebo and thin aluminium sheet from a caravan. It seemed like a good idea at the time but then I thought ‘Ah, sod it’ and bought a Dancover. Keep life simple.
chris667

Post by chris667 »

All I would say with portable garages is remember they aren't classed as a temporary structure. If you have one outside your house on your drive and your neighbours complain, the council can serve an enforcement notice on you, leaving you stuck with a giant, useless tent.

Better to spend more on a garage that is yours forever and makes your house more valuable.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I know planning regs have altered, as I think that provided the garage isn't in front of the house or over 30m2 in area (Or over a certain height), you can build it as a permitted development, without needing to get planning permission. I am surprised by the portable garage, as I understood that if something wasn't a permanent structure, that was that. There was a man called "Mad Harry", who had a Lotus 7, with a twin turbo Rover V8 in it. It was a rough old thing and the bonnet was a home made affair, that seemed to have bits of dustbin lids riveted in. I never met him but a friend, who owns a more "Normal" 7, had and told me the story of Mad Harry's garage. He created a garage, without planning permission and the council people came to tell him to take it down. The whole thing could be jacked up on caravan jockey wheels and so Harry told them it wasn't a permanent structure, proving it by jacking the thing up and pushing it a few feet. The council men were perplexed and left. Harry kept his garage.
chris667

Post by chris667 »

A "temporary structure" in planning terms is a structure that is used for 28 days or less.

A portable garage could fall under permitted development. But you still have to stick to rules, otherwise if your neighbours complain you'll be told to remove it.

By all means, put one up if you think you can. I'm not going to report you. :D