Virginia Beach LCV Resto

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ihavgas
MMOC Member: No

Virginia Beach LCV Resto

Post by ihavgas »

Installing the new wiring harness in my 69 LCV, I found a wire that appears to be meant for a device that tells you if the oil filter is stopped up. My engine does not have that device and I was wondering what mechanism they use to determine this has happened. I've never seen such a warning on any other car, so I was wondering if this is common in Europe/UK?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Virginia Beach LCV Resto

Post by simmitc »

The oil filter head incorporated a switch to which the wire attached. Apart from the spade terminal coming out of the filter head, there are no other noticable differences. Although I have two engines with this fitted, I have never attempted to service the switch, and would be quite upset if I let it get to the point where the filter was clogged! For those who pay less attentio to servicing then the warning light could be useful, although such people probably wouldn't know what it meant :-? So far as I know, the switch was fitted to relatively few Minors.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

The warning light was apparently a small-scale BMC gimmick. Fitted to Minors from around 1964 to 1968 (approx) and to The Mini/Elf/Hornet of the same era., which shared the same style speedometer, with the light fitting provided in it.

To answer part of the OPs question - there was never any mandatory requirement in Europe or the UK to have a 'blocked filter' warning light.
1956 4-door called Max
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Here's what it looks like with the wire attached:
Filter.JPG
Filter.JPG (127.27 KiB) Viewed 659 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:53 am For those who pay less attentio to servicing then the warning light could be useful, although such people probably wouldn't know what it meant
Ha ha, that's funny! :D But you do have to wonder - many of these poor old cars were severely neglected back in the day when they were run as cheap old 'bangers'. Result - too many went to the scrappy (RIP) and many of the survivers are now causing grief to current owners who, hopefully, cherish them better.