Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Ashtray in centre near handbrake

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi All
I’ve posted this in the other section but just in case can anyone help me with regard to the ashtray that goes in the centre between the front seats on a 1967 4 door.Im trying to replace some of the bits that are missing.How do I attach it ?I have bought one from the national this last weekend .It has the shiny bit and the outer casing including 4 screw holes .Im afraid I’m not very technical minded and don’t want to screw it in to some thing and blow the electrics or something.
Regards
Steve
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ashtray in centre near handbrake

Post by ManyMinors »

The ashtray doesn't fit between the front seats. It fits onto the top of the transmission tunnel in the REAR of the car. If your car originally had one then the screw holes for the 4 self tapping screws will still be present? There is nothing else fitted in that area so you won't cause any problem.
If you attended the National Rally, that would have been an ideal opportunity to look at other cars and see where the ashtray fits :wink:
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello,
Hope this scanned picture is of help. Its from one of Ray Newell's books and shows the ashtray sitting roughly in line with the back of the seats. Mine's exactly like that and is held in place with 4 self tapping screws which go through the carpet and any sound deadening mat underneath into the metal floor.
Cheers, Colin.
Attachments
001 (2).jpg
001 (2).jpg (271.99 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That picture shows perfectly where the said ashtray goes for the benefit of the rear passengers. Front ashtrays are under the parcel shelf. I believe that the rear was fitted only to deluxe specification cars, but am open to correction. The best policy is to not smoke and then you won't need the ashtray, although they do look good as an accessory.
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Thanks for the tips/advice I’m going to have a go on Thursday and see how I get on .
I will let you know and post a picture if I can manage it.
Regards
Steve
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

My Traveller is described as deluxe on the original invoice and that has one ash tray either side of the front parcel shelf and then on in the middle for rear seat passengers. The rear ones are the same as the ones fitted to a least one of my Minis (I can't remember whether all of them).
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips and pics.I have today managed to fit said ashtray into position.
Thanks again
Steve
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Well done. Its always nice to hear back when someone's done a job especially when it all goes to plan.
Bets wishes, Colin.