Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfbum
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

holes for semaphores

Post by surfbum »

following on from a problem of body changes , can anyone tell me when they stopped cutting the slots in pillars (on a four door) for the semaphores .My car is a 63 according to my log book but was cut out for them and there is evidence that they were fitted.I have aquired some second hand ones and from club spares a pair of brackets and will fit them to fill the holes in. I dont intend making them work. It just seems so old fashioned in a vehicle that was probably made in 62. Any thoughts?.

Cheers Keith.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: holes for semaphores

Post by myoldjalopy »

Semaphores were discontinued in August 1961 so, assuming the holes/slots are original, your car is a bit older than you think! 8)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If I remember correctly BMC fitted plates over the trafficator holes for a short while to use up the body shells originally fitted with trafficators.

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

More years ago than i care to remember when i was working in my fathers garage in school break, i was given the job of removing the trafficators and fitting plates with screws and nuts over the holes so that modern indicators could be fitted. I have no idea if the plates were a accessory item from Morris or a kit that could be bought ,

Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Phyllis has a build date of 27th Feb 1962 and has the mouldings for the trafficator (as all 4-doors do) but the holes were never cut. I'd echo what @myoldjalopy says that your car could be a little older than you thought.

If you havea copy of Ray Newell's excellent Morris Minor bible, all the details of body changes are listed.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Gareth .

I dont have that book ,but will look for it. Are there any other subtle changes that I can look for that will give me a clue as to the true age of my vehicle?.the car has undergone extensive restoration to body and suspension but engine and geafbox and all ancileries were in pieces loose .All the nuts and bolts were missing and have been a sod to source.I have started to put things back together but it is not that easy when you didnt strip it down in the first place. I keep finding parts are missing, so buying tham off E-bay is a slow job .The engine is a 948cc and lookes to have been reconditioned recently but one of the valve springs was broken so have re-built that with new valves and springs. I must admit to enjoying working on the car it is so primative and basic compared to my mgb gt.

Cheers Keith.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Assuming the car is original, there are various clues to look for. The first 1098 engine was fitted September 1962 so, if your 948 is the original engine, it predates that date.
Other clues to look for are the type of seats, whether gloveboxes are fitted or not, the steering wheel and horn button. There were many changes to these items in the early 60's.
If you can post up pictures of your seats, dashboard and steering wheel we can narrow it down quite a bit. Of course, many cars have been altered over the years, so it is quite possible to find earlier cars fitted with the later seats, or bigger engines, for example.
The book Gareth refers to is called 'Original Morris Minor' and dates all the various changes made during production (as well as having lots of useful photos).
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Chassis number 260431 seems to be about the last one dispatched with cover plates over the trafficator holes, as far as I can tell with Travs running on until circa 428264. not sure how accurate this info is.
Cardiff, UK
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Rob .

On my plate is stamped a six digit number starting 9874** is that any help. Engine number should have been 620524 but is not.

Cheers
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

m yoldjalopy.

Steering wheel is banjo.heater is round starter is pull switch,but apart from that I dont think many bits on it are original .

Cheers Keith.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hi Keith,
Those features don't help much as they were used even on the 1098 cars up until Oct 1964. The numbers you quote suggest mid-1962 to me, but that is at odds with having semaphores. Some pics might help.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

At more or less the same time as the trafficators disappeared ( August 1961, chassis 925448) they also added seat belt fixing points into the sills. Assuming they are original, there are dates on the starter, dynamo, wiper motor, regulator and even the switches! These can all help to date it.

From Ray Newels book, the last 4 door 948, was September 1962 and was chassis number 990283

You will find the chassis number of the vehicle stamped into the bulkhead quite near were the bonnet pull is.

Too many Minors so little time.....