Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

what oil and how many litres?

Post by darrenj »

Hi, I'm in the middle of a engine top end strip down and am going to do oil and filter obviously, thing is I'm not sure of the best oil for my mog or how much to use after draining, if anyone could let me know I would be gratefull, thinking of castrol as I love the smell but I want what's best for the engine, 59 4door 948, thanks, daz.
Attachments
WP_20190615_12_00_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20190615_12_00_54_Pro.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: what oil and how many litres?

Post by Blaketon »

20W50 or 20W60 (Something like Penrite HPR30) is suitable. Off the top of my head it's about 6 pints (The handbook will say) but I tend to fill it to minimum, then turn the engine over on the starter (Don't actually start it), let the oil settle and then top up to max.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

20/50. For a worn engine then any brand will do. For a reconditioned engine then invest in a good oil such as Duckhams Q or Morris (different company) oil, Fill the filter with oil before fitting. Buy at least 5 litres and add until shown correct on dipstick. I would turn by hand rather then using the starter, then let settle and rec-check level. Once engine has started, check for leaks.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A good idea is to fill the filter with oil, that way the oil should start to circulate quicker. However in the time taken to build pressure I can't see the bearing surfaces being without a film of oil.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Only really possible if a spin on/off canister oil filter is fitted.

One of the best reasons for fitting a spin on/off filter assy.

If the original oil filter type is fitted the oil will run out of the bottom of the canister past the mounting bolt.

I always take the plugs out until a good oil pressure has been built up plus 20 secs of engine turning to get the oil all around the engine.

Phil

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Thanks guys, I think father in law used comma 20w50 classic oil in a 5ltr tin but I just wanted to make sure as lots of synthetic or semi synth or mineral, thanks again,. Daz
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Out of curiosity, I have a spare top end for the mog but the numbers are different, the one I've taken off starts with 2A but the other starts with 12G, will the 12G go straight on my block or do I need to modify in some way, also would I need to change anything else if I decided to use it, daz.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Depends upon what 12G head you have!

See the list below:-
cyl head details.jpg
cyl head details.jpg (870.85 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Please identify what you have and then come back on here for further advice. The full number 12G??? is required

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Ok will do just couldn't remember as at work, will find out later and message thanks,
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Ok the top want to fit is 12G202 the one i took off is 2A629, if it won't go on then fair enough will stick with what I've got, thanks,
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 12G202 cylinder head will fit the 948cc engine without any difficulties.

The 12G202 cylinder head was fitted to the 1098cc engine.

Before fitting the 12G202 head to the 948cc engine I would recommend a 0.030" skim of the head to keep the compression ration reasonably the same. The 12G202 combustion chamber is slightly larger at 26.1cc against the 24.5cc of the 2A629.

The depth of an unskimmed head is 2.75" so I would check the depth before doing anything as it might have been skimmed already.

With the 12G202 head fitted and it being being skimmed you will find that the engine breathes slightly better giving a brisker performance - but do not expect a vast increase in power but any increase is better than none.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

No harm will be done if the engine is started up after an oil and filter change as long as the throttle is not agitated. Absolutely no need for spin-off conversions or priming. But I would recommend starting the engine whilst watching the oil filter for leaks. On tickover the oil pressure warning light should go out after 5-10 seconds.
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Cheers everyone, good to know there is so much knowledge on here, maybe I will see some of you about in our moggys, mind you I think mine will be pretty hard to miss, thanks again, will update when done.