Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Ashtrays

Post by ndevans »

I have a 1969 Traveller, which has the parcel shelf swivel ashtrays. I'm a bit unclear as to whether it should also have a central metal one on the transmission tunnel, just rear of the handbrake.
I've got "Original Morris Minor", and there's some good pictures of a late 60's Traveller in there, almost identical to mine, that seems to show the central ashtray. Mine has no screw holes in the transmission tunnel for an ashtray as far as I can tell, and if it had one, it has gone by the time we got the car in 1986.
As far as I can tell, the transmission tunnel is original, and has not been replaced.
So can anyone tell me if it should have the central ashtray or not, please?

Cheers N
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
simmitc

Re: Ashtrays

Post by simmitc »

Interesting, this came up recently in another post. I believe that the rear ashtray was fitted only to "deluxe" specification cars that would also have had leahter seats and over-riders on the bumpers.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

My 1970 two door saloon has a rear ashtray . Purchased new by my uncle and in the family ever since . Its not a ‘deluxe ‘ model ( vinyl seats etc ) so not sure if this helps or confuses 🤔
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Mine is De-luxe model, or so I thought. It has stainless door window frames and overriders on the front bumper, but vinyl seats-I thought that was the main difference?
cheers N

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Every Minor 1000 built after 1961 was supplied with vinyl seat facings whether it was a standard or deluxe.
Also, stainless steel door window frames were fitted to the Traveller and the 4door saloon regardless of the specification.
Overriders were indeed part of the deluxe specification but will have been added to many cars during their lives - and taken away from others so probably not the most reliable guide now. Have a look at the chassis number plate. A "D" in between the prefix letters and the numbers will signify "Deluxe" spec.

As for the ashtray on the rear tunnel: The parts book doesn't distinguish this as a deluxe feature. My late model 1000 saloon has this fitted but a friend's Traveller of the same age does NOT and has never had one. Don't ask me why!
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Ah yes, I forgot about the chassis number. Mine has the D, MAW5-D. I wonder if the centre ashtray was an optional extra fitted on request by dealers? Mine was first owned by a small business in West London, so maybe they didn't think they'd often use it for passengers.
cheers N

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

My '65 2 door is a Deluxe with over riders, vinyl seats, rear ashtray and two on the shelf under the dash.
It also has the D in the chassis number
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Murrayminor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 am My '65 2 door is a Deluxe with over riders, vinyl seats, rear ashtray and two on the shelf under the dash.
It also has the D in the chassis number
That's much the same spec as mine, apart from being a Traveller.
I'm going to put one in anyway, not as an ashtray, but with a lighter socket and USB socket in there for charging the lad's games console on long journeys.

Cheers N
cheers N

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

The tunnel mounted ashtray pictured in Original Morris Minor is actually photographed in the smoke grey 4-door (page 85) and the green 2-door convertible (page 86), two of the other cars featured in that chapter.
I may be wrong but I'd imagine the folding arrangement of a Traveller rear seat precludes the fitting of the ashtray.
1956 4-door called Max
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Ah, good point, I'll have to check that when I got it. Thanks!
cheers N

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ah, but the thing about these ashtrays is 'which way round is it fitted?' :wink:
2019-07-15 18.28.42.jpg
2019-07-15 18.28.42.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1619 times
SII, registered Jan 1955. I presume de-luxe, as it has leather seats and over-riders. It has a heater too. Not all models had one so Idon't know if this was a 'de-luxe' spec as well, or just an optional extra. But no 'D' in the chassis number........?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You are confusing things now by bringing a Series 11 car into the debate. Different car. Different ashtray :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

:D True! But its all interesting..........When you think about it, there were an astounding number of changes, big and small, made to these cars whilst they were in production.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes there were - almost every year up until late 1964 when the later dashboard and heatformed vinyl interior was introduced. Relatively few changes after that until production ended.