Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Nice looking sports air filter with dodgy plastic elbow

Post by niftyrodman »

Bought one on line.(Chinese?) Looks nice but had a devil of a job getting the elbow to "pop" into the back plate. Broke one, they sent replacement, broke that. Answer is: Buy an air line tail with a hose fitting end, with a 1/4 BSP tapered thread.Heat the neck of it, and bend slightly so as to clear the top of the float chamber HS2. Round file the plate hole a little to fit. You can actually buy a nut 1/4 BSP and with a bit of effort secure it with a fibre washer to the back plate. The Chinese are almost there with their stuff, but not quite. And using the right proper vacuum hose to fit that will mean it is too small to fit the breather pipe at the rocker cover.So, you grip the hose in the vice with enough end sticking out, and with a drill fractionally bigger ream out the hose so that it fits snugly on the cover. Vacuum hose is very thick in the wall. No problem.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Nice looking sports air filter with dodgy plastic elbow

Post by irmscher »

The rule of thumb is don't buy Chinese if you can help it . :lol:
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Nice looking sports air filter with dodgy plastic elbow

Post by niftyrodman »

I completely agree. I never would deliberately buy Chinese parts, but Hey, look at some of the available parts and accessories that Minor wise are online. How would you know? From old well established Minor parts retailers. You my friend would be amazed if you knew. Sadly, its the new way, and us older people hate it.