WATCH OUT! MM LEARNER ABOUT!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Luke
MMOC Member: Yes

WATCH OUT! MM LEARNER ABOUT!

Post by Luke »

Good afternoon. A friendly chap at Orsett car show helped me conclude buy a morris minor! I almost brought one this week on ebay but it sold before I could get there. I just couldn't risk buying it without seeing it. (I find comfort in imagining/worrying underneath the shiny shell it was rotten! Only for my peace of mind may I add, not the new owner). I know that sinking feeling of a car not being as described and I only hope it helps me rather then hinders me in my search.

I have joined mmoc, and visited classic shows (whilst deciding what to get) basic Internet search, forums, found and messaged my local branch etc. However I feel I need to speak to someone that owns one or any experts out there to pass on some knowledge/advice, rather then someone just trying to" sell me a car," (I appreciate not everyone is dishonest, but not having all the knowledge makes it hard to differentiate) I need a honest /partial person to tell me what to look for etc.

The ideal scenario for me is anyone thinking of retiring from classic car ownership and looking of passing on all their knowledge, tools and car, and maybe staying in touch. Handover rather then just a sale. However I appreciate this is a bigger ask.

If anyone has any free time, any advice on the best way forward, or thinking of hanging up their keys then please get in touch. I am in the Essex area, nearerest City is Chelmsford, I am willing to travel.

In the meantime I might rent one for the day from a hire company to familiarise myself with it. Thankyou. Luke
JHarley
Minor Fan

Re: WATCH OUT! MM LEARNER ABOUT!

Post by JHarley »

Hi Luke, welcome to the club, I'm in the same position as you, first and foremost, great name for a post, I take it you're a fan of Jeremy Beedle, haven't heard anything on cars, but for sales go to the "cars for sale" section of the forum, if you want to go for a professional dealer I would recommend
Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre, I'll post the link to their website below, good luck with your search.

Regards,

Joe :D
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Hi Luke,
Here is the website link:
https://www.morrisminor.org.uk
If this comes out wrong I'm sorry, haven't quite mastered links yet.

Yours,

The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Hi Joe!

I have read a few of your posts actually and it's what inspired me to post for help. And Thankyou for putting my mind at rest for "where have I heard that watch out saying before." :D

I'm after a car a can keep for a very long time and want to enjoy it from day one, the best way to do that is making informed decisions.

There are some great looking cars for sale, and quite a price difference, so many questions!

Thanks for the link.

Luke
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Luke wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm Hi Joe!

I have read a few of your posts actually and it's what inspired me to post for help. And Thankyou for putting my mind at rest for "where have I heard that watch out saying before." :D

I'm after a car a can keep for a very long time and want to enjoy it from day one, the best way to do that is making informed decisions.

There are some great looking cars for sale, and quite a price difference, so many questions!

Thanks for the link.

Luke
Hi Luke,

No problem mate!, happy to help! :D, like I said I'm in the same position as you, my car will eventually become a family heirloom, it's nice to know I'm helping people, I'm currently on a family holiday in the States so my search for a car has been put on hold, I'm actually in the Northampton area so I'm a bit far from Essex, if you need any help shoot me a private message or ask the other club members.

Kind regards,

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Shoot me a message if viewing a car in or near Cambridgeshire, always best to have somebody there to show you the rust and tell you how much everything is going to cost. ;)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Monty-4 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 pm Shoot me a message if viewing a car in or near Cambridgeshire, always best to have somebody there to show you the rust and tell you how much everything is going to cost. ;)
Monty that would be brilliant Thankyou. Cambridge not that far from me. That's exactly the sort of advise I need. Tough to know whether the 5k ones are going to cost 12k therfore I should have brought a 10k one etc.

Thanks for your message

Cheers

Luke
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ditto if you need help we are a small friendly branch based in Uttlesford, so Essex Suffolk Cambridgeshire and hearts are close.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Firedrake 1942.

Do you still meet at the Bluebell Inn?

Phil

Luke

Post by Luke »

firedrake1942 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 pm Ditto if you need help we are a small friendly branch based in Uttlesford, so Essex Suffolk Cambridgeshire and hearts are close.
Hi firedrake!

Thanks for reply! I'm actually north Essex (Braintree) so you are very close indeed! Depending on where you meet you may be closer to me then the Essex branch. I will look your branch up.

Cheers

Luke
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Phil, yes still at the Bluebell, good food, excellent Saffron Brewery beer and very good company. Even the Landlord has the bug with a G reg 2 door Saloon in Maroon B rotting quietly in the corner of the car park... Can't be easy running a busy pub and working on a Minor! Next meet is actually at the Brach Rally at Saffron Walden Motor Show on 18th of August and thereafter on October the 8th.