Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Enquiry

Post by les »

What a find, you’ve put some time in on this John! Don’t sign off as embarrassed, these issues are not always easy to pin down conclusively, other stuff can crop up, as you’ve proved. All the information in your posts have been informative to me. I think I’ll go for 8 ohms, at least as a starter. I’m going to check for a hidden circuit diagram ! :D

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Thanks Les, If you haven’t already it might be worth trying it on the bench to see if this 48ish year old girl works. I’d hazard a guess that you haven’t got a current limited power supply so hook it up to a battery via a low value fuse of around 1 amp for initial testing and 2 amp for final installation.
12V Neg earth
Make sure the speaker wires don’t touch each other or ground as this will instantly blow the output transistors.
Leave the top off and watch for smoke, it may help trace any possible faults.
Good luck
Regards John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

No hidden diagram found, incidentally. Not tested yet but will follow that procedure.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The update here is not good, all connections made but not a sound! When initially switched on I get a click from the speakers then nothing not even a hiss from them. I’m not too sure about the aerial so will persevere but I think i should get a familiar hiss even without one. it may have been wishful thinking on my part that this old unit was plug and go! I am disappointed, I used it i my Mini years ago and hoped to use it in the van instead of the all singing all dancing one that is too busy for my liking. I’m going to hang on in there for a while but it’s not looking too promising.
A shame after all the help I’ve received !
Ps—- at least no smoke!

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Waveband change switches can play up with lack of use, may be worth pushing the switches a few times to see if it springs into life.
Other to that it is more serious, capacitors can fail with lack of use and Germanium transistors can fail with age.
Sorry that it didn't work :(
Regards John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Oh well, at least I know more on the subject than I did to start with ! If I have a breakthrough I’ll post again. Thanks.