Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mark t4
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

A little shocked

Post by mark t4 »

Hi everyone
its been a while since i posted on the site but i do lurk in the back ground allot and read lots of posts
Anyway after 5 great years of having the moggie its about time i did some bodywork as its looking i bit rough in places and thought i would treat her to 4 new wings! wow i am surprised how expensive they are! and then the painting on top!
I am sure only 5 years ago they were half that price :cry:
Mark
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: A little shocked

Post by Murrayminor »

Look how much the price of classic vehicles in general have risen in the last five years.
I'm glad I managed to secure a Morris Minor before they are out of my price range.
I see very rusty shells with rotten interiors and seized engines changing hands for hundreds of pounds.
A decent 1275 engine is now the best part of a thousand pounds when a few years back they were a couple of hundred.
I suppose you have to pay to keep on top of your car and as it's current custodian you have to keep it going for the next person whomever that may be.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just compare prices with other classics ,try mgb, and I think you will find that minor bits are very cheap .
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

No, they are less expensive, but not very cheap. :-?
Luke

Post by Luke »

What gets me with the price of classics is alot seem to get snapped up by dealers and then inflated. Pet hate of mine.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i've built up a stock of spares for my car,engine and gearbox and electrical stuff.
must get some panels before much longer..just in case!
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The bubble will burst one day. The day will come when only cars with computers will be allowed on the road, communicating with satellites and automatically sticking to the speed limit etc.
Classic cars cannot all go into museums, the prices will drop.
leafie

Post by leafie »

Luke wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:56 pm What gets me with the price of classics is alot seem to get snapped up by dealers and then inflated. Pet hate of mine.
There's a convertible made from a saloon doing the rounds at the moment, very shiny body but also very scruffy engine bay. It was for sale at £11995 for months on a web site, sold at auction a couple of weeks ago for £5400 including fees, now for sale at another dealers for the apparently tremendous value price of £9995.
Let us hope no unsuspecting buyer thinks they are getting a bargain.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

From what you've described there leafie, any prospective buyer may well be getting a bargain...…...if one currently on offer (by a well known MM retailer in Bristol!) is anything to go by.

You can have a convertible - CONVERTED FROM A SALOON, no less!!! - complete with a VINYL roof, for the bargain price of £24,950. WOW!!

For that sort of money I would want, at the very least, a genuine convertible and ideally one that had got less than 1,000 miles on the clock and a full service history from new!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Also many replacement parts are imported so the state of the pound isn’t helping.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

for 25K I wouldn't be buying a MM. i'd be looking higher up the food chain.

Prices of parts is indeed a explosive topic. For my A30 I was after rear shock links. they go from the axle to the rear roll bar. the only company selling them is Bull Motif. They want £40 each! I'm clever (but not a genius) so went on the hunt for a similar item.

I found an MG midget shock link to have the same 2 end fittings as the A30, but a longer length and a different orientation. So I 'customised' the midget ones to fit my A30. it can be done and it's on my car. Total cost...…. £20 a pair.

it can be done (maybe not body panels) but if you look out there, you can modify parts to suit.

Lovely Jubbly!
Hubert
Minor Friendly

Post by Hubert »

I must admit, I am also shocked, not a little, but very much! Almost 25,000 Pounds for a replica convertible? Ten years ago I bought mine at the same Bristol dealer for exactly half the money, and for that sum I received an almost trouble-free car and ten years of enjoyment.

I never wanted an expensive classic as I am using it frequently in today's traffic, and with an expensive car the worries of having it damaged could exceed the pleasure of driving it. I would have never expected a Moggy being on the way to be an expensive classic so fast!

Greetings from Germany
Hubert
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

For £25k you could have 2 very decent Morris Minors and a very nice garage to put them in.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Compared with other cars I think most panels are pretty reasonable, some even cheap. But when you look at the number of them you need (floor edge/individual sill panels) then the cost escalates rather quickly - as I have found out collecting everything to do my traveller.
The bonus, of course, is that they are readily available.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

See from 2m 34s in this clip:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsqkuBV9iY The full story was shown recently on the first episode of 'Bangers and Cash' on Yesterday TV and is worth checking out.