Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Switch in centre on top of series 2 dash

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
When I bought Sally she had indicators fitted (as well as working trafficators). The switch was a 'flick switch' under the dash with a wing side repeater wired up to indicate when they were in use, to remind the driver to cancel them, fitted to the top of the dash in the middle. I have tidied this by removing both and fitting a period (NOS) bakelite switch with light. The side repeater utilised existing holes which I have again reused for my switch, I say existing because that is what I was told and I believe I have seen a switch there in other series 2's.
My question is, am I right about an original switch there and what was it for?
I've attached a picture of mine to show what I mean (that is a cat in the passenger footwell by the way, it seems Sandy approves of my new Minor! :D ).
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3322(1).JPG
DSCF3322(1).JPG (1007.73 KiB) Viewed 528 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Switch in centre on top of series 2 dash

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It looks like someone has moved the screenwiper switch to the left, it should be central, but the trafficator switch is the correct type (strictly speaking should be brown colour) but situated under the dashboard on the extreme right hand side. Also, this type of switch was only used on 2 door versions.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Jowett, now you mention it I remember.
My trafficator switch is cream (white) also ( and located on the extreme right under the dash, where you said), which is why I chose this one to neaten up and 'periodise' the indicators.
Unfortunately my trafficator switch, whilst it does still operate the trafficators, has to be held in position to stop it returning to the off position straight away, not very convenient when driving. That along with the fact that a few people have commented that it isn't a very reliable type of switch, leads me to be considering sourcing another of the type I have used for the indicators, without an integral operation light though, as I don't think I could get that to work on the trafficator circuit.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

All sounds very complicated.

I have Trafficators and Indicators working from a single White switch of the type you have.
I've just routed the line to each Trafficator via a relay (1 each side, simply because I couldn't be asked to buy a relay with a double set of contacts).
This enables me to disable the Trafficators if needed. I tend to do so if travelling at speed simply to save them from being damaged by deploying into the slipstream. I figure they are delicate items given their age so why risk damaging them.

Of course the actual wiring diagram will depend on the type of indicator circuit fitted. Mine is the complicated one with the Relay from the 'flashing brake light' era.
Basil the 1955 series II