Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear number plate light glass

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have just changed my number plate light, as the old black one was past its best, however I noticed, upon removal, that the original ones glass is etched with the Lucas name and a number.
Does this mean anything or did all the original ones come like this (image below)?
Many thanks,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3341.JPG
DSCF3341.JPG (263.02 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Rear number plate light glass

Post by philthehill »

I do not remember seeing any etching on Lucas number plate light lenses. All I have ever seen is plain glass lenses.

Here is a number plate lens for sale on 'e' bay with the number in raised number/letters on the glass.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-467-2- ... SwwRtdWbNN

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Here is a number plate lens for sale on 'e' bay with the number in raised number/letters on the glass.
Hi Phil,
Same numbers though, interesting, so which came first? The etching or raised digits in the glass?
Can anybody else shed some light (no pun intended)........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not seen an etched one, mine has letters raised in the glass itself simply 'Lucas England.' I suspect yours may be quite rare.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I have one with etched glass too - it came from a car registered January 1955.....
But it is not quite the same as Mike's. 467/2 is at the top, just left of centre (when viewing as in Mike's photo) and LUCAS at the top, just right of centre and the lettering for these is slightly smaller than on Mike's. MADE IN ENGLAND is in the same and the same size as Mike's. Maybe even rarer! :lol:
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Had to go and have a look at mine!
All upsidedown when viewed from the rear but moulded in the top of the flat section is Made in England and Lucas 467.

Alan
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

alanworland wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am Had to go and have a look at mine!
All upsidedown when viewed from the rear but moulded in the top of the flat section is Made in England and Lucas 467.

Alan
Now you've gone and started something.... :lol:
20190827_121134.jpg
20190827_121134.jpg (359.52 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Snap.
Basil is a '55, but I can't vouch for if it is original fit. I know a number of parts were donated from at least 1 other car that was much later registration.
I've yet to work out how he got a latter type handbrake lever with the end button instead of the palm squeeze type, but it's a fully chromed lever. Someone did suggest it might have come from a more expensive Austin/Morris model. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Wow, I am now going to extract my glass, give it a good clean and refit in my new lamp housing.
My car is from 1954 by the way.
I wonder, this may make it into 'Original Morris Minor' and end up being a 'make or break' concourse issue!
Imagine the chaos, with people smashing other peoples number plate lamps because they themselves had the wrong glass fitted and lost!............. :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Seriously though, all information is good information and I am now following this post with interest.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Indeed I have now extracted the glass from the scrap lid and given it a good clean, the rust staining has come off well, so I will refit this glass in the new lamp holder.
Stating that it's not that common has made me quite fond of it.....
I have to go now, as they have come with my new straight jacket............
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3347.JPG
DSCF3347.JPG (357.78 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Before they carry you off, you might like to see my etched glass variant which I mentioned earlier:
2019-08-27 22.14.18.jpg
2019-08-27 22.14.18.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1131 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Excellent, so there's two of us out there but not quite the same, so individuality preserved.
What year is your car?
Looks like the housing is in as bad a state as mine was, though I'd say your glass will go again like mine.
Go on, refit the glass!
It might save you going round your tires with a toothbrush at the next concourse event! :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Most interesting!
Not sure what finish the cover 'ought' to be? I originally fitted a nice chrome one but changed it a few years ago to a powder coated black one which I think looks better - less 'blingy'?

Alan
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Mike - my car was registered January 1955. Yes, I think I will clean up and re-fit the old glass......will make the old girl a bit more original again! :D
Alan - I think the black ones were standard and the chrome ones an optional choice.......