Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lindopski
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Save a Moggy? Can a newcomer do it

Post by lindopski »

I am looking at a Morris at the moment and it requires welding (a fair bit) and tidying.
I have some basic skills, less now I lost my dad earlier this year but can get by.
I can't however weld, I have had a quick go with dad but he got poorly before we could continue my lessons.
I have inherited his Mig and it's sat at the moment looking bored and I don't mind trying.

However would it be foolish to take on such a project with such basic skills?
I have heard the moggy is a great starter classic to work on.
I already have a couple of classics and keep on top of the mechanics/electrics side as best as I can but welding is a bit scary.

I would like to use the Morris as my daily, perhaps keep my old pug diesel for longer motorway journeys.
I just fancy the challenge a bit but just wondered am I being foolish and you boys are probably the best to ask.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Save a Moggy? Can a newcomer do it

Post by Myrtles Man »

As we're now in September this is probably the ideal time to enroll on a welding course at your local night school/tech college, particularly so as you already have the equipment. Welcome to the world of Moggies by the way. :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Minors can rust almost anywhere, even the newest one is almost 50 years old now! So many panels are available for the minor that it makes them viable as restoration projects. As Myrtlesman says, a night school class is a good place to start. Also if you had had a go in the past try on some scrap bits of steel, you cant go far wrong.

Buy it!!

Too many Minors so little time.....
lindopski
Minor Friendly

Post by lindopski »

Well, I have just committed to buying it.... aRGH!

and I have also just enquired about a MIG welding course that starts on the 17th September - yikes!
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I'm in a similar position my minor requires some bodywork and having welded a few bits of steel together in the past and managed to make a wood burner I thought I would try it myself.
I think the main thing with welding at home is to obtain a good deal on argon.
I'm still looking for a decent supplier rather than use the small hobby bottles which don't last very well.

There are welding courses near me but last year the price was £235 this year it's £700 so that made my decision to teach myself welding along with some you tube videos.

Keep us updated with the purchase.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes. Have a go!! Do a bit of research, enroll on that course, carry out simple safety checks every time and get going!!

There is lots of help here and elsewhere when things get tough.
lindopski
Minor Friendly

Post by lindopski »

Well it's paid for and arriving on Friday

Exciting and a bit scary haha
I've been trying to joinn the MMOC on my android tablet but it just gets to the confirming card part and spins round so I will try on my PC.

What oil etc do you guys recommend.
Can I use Bluecol in the moggy?

Argh so many questions haha.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Murrayminor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm I'm in a similar position my minor requires some bodywork and having welded a few bits of steel together in the past and managed to make a wood burner I thought I would try it myself.
I'm still looking for a decent supplier rather than use the small hobby bottles which don't last very well.
Not sure if, 'making a woodburner', means burning down the shed while welding:)
Seriously though, I've found Hobbyweld to be excellent for gas. Approx £100 for the first big gas bottle of 95%argon then £40 per refill
https://hobbyweld.co.uk no connection just what I use.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Interestingly enough, I just got my Hobbyweld CO2/Argon refill today. The guy who dealt with me told me that there are 2 types of Hobbyweld mig gas . Hobbyweld 15 and Hobbyweld 5, and the 5 is better for thin material as it does not contain the very small percentage of O2 that the 15 has... this is so that the 15 works better for thick steel.
I did not know this ,and when I tried using the Mig with the 5 this PM, I found that the 5 was a definite improvement on the 15 for thin steel.
Something to bear in mind obviously. Apologies to anyone who already knew this, but I reckoned that it was worth mentioning. Happy welding all!
The bad news is that I am having a real problem getting Acetylene bottles refilled, as the elf n'safety have decreed them to be dangerous.
lindopski
Minor Friendly

Post by lindopski »

Handy tip, thank you
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

dp wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:56 pm
Murrayminor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm I'm in a similar position my minor requires some bodywork and having welded a few bits of steel together in the past and managed to make a wood burner I thought I would try it myself.
Not sure if, 'making a woodburner', means burning down the shed while welding:)
Seriously though, I've found Hobbyweld to be excellent for gas. Approx £100 for the first big gas bottle of 95%argon then £40 per refill
https://hobbyweld.co.uk no connection just what I use.
Ha ha , I managed to make a wood burner from an old gas bottle and all without burning down the shed.
Hobbyweld look like they do a great deal so I may go down that route, thanks for the info.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

You have private mail.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

You have private mail.

PS Don,t try gasless Mig, they are horrible!
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

More important than the type of gas is the facilities you have for safe access to the bits you need to weld. In my experience that's all of them!

I've done mine with no previous experience and although not quite there yet I think it's turned out OK. I taught myselff, but I agree that a course is the best way to go. I used expensive disposable bottles on an ancient second hand Clarke mig. The cost of the gas was a drop in the ocean as a proportion of the total amount I've spent

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70591
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Mark Wilson wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am More important than the type of gas is the facilities you have for safe access to the bits you need to weld. In my experience that's all of them!

I've done mine with no previous experience and although not quite there yet I think it's turned out OK. I taught myselff, but I agree that a course is the best way to go. I used expensive disposable bottles on an ancient second hand Clarke mig. The cost of the gas was a drop in the ocean as a proportion of the total amount I've spent

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70591
You certainly did a lot of welding on your car, lovely to see it back together.
I have a rotisserie, as you say much easier to gain access to the underneath.
I have begun to buy some bits to convert my hobby MIG to a decent sized bottle.
We can compare rust as we go along!! :-)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Reactolight welding helmet is a good idea. Even Lidl sell them now.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I have a helmet but I struggle to see the weld so I think it needs setting up properly.
Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I restored my 1st car at 19 with no previous experience or help. I managed it, anyone can. I got better the more I got into it. this was before the days of the internet (I'm not that old really) and all I had for reference was books from the library. I did ok, it got painted and then I was out and about.

sometimes people don't understand their potential and underestimate themselves. once you start you'll get more confident and it will become easy. crack on now......
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

here is mine to date.. Have no idea where the second picture came from, it's not mine!
Attachments
P1010001.JPG
P1010001.JPG (154.95 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Image087.jpg
Image087.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

any one buying a mig always get the dual gas /no gas There is nothing wrong with no gas except the shielding gas tends to hide the weld but you can not weld with gas outside, the slightest breeze blows the gas off the weld and prevents quality welding.You can erect shield round the area but I personally can't be bothered with that.One major benefit is that with no gas you don't need to get the nozzle close to the work surface to make sure the gas floods onto the surface as with gas. so you can let a couple of inches of wire, if need be , out of the tip and poke it into tight corners or inside sections and still weld. The only down side with no gas is that you can't put a bead on top of a bead,without cleaning the slag off the first.Buy a dual with gas and both wires and when you run out of gas at a week end or with another inch of weld to do, swap the polarity and wire spool to no gas and finish the job. Invaluable as far as I'm concerned.