Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

which tyres?

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Sorry to raise this topic again, but can anyone recommend a make of budget tyres that will not crack on a seldom driven Minor?
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: which tyres?

Post by Myrtles Man »

Might something like this be the answer? http://www.armorall.com/products/tires/ ... protectant
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

There isn't much choice of tyres - never mind "budget" tyres. I have run one of mine on Nankang tyres (155/80/14) for the 7 years since I bought it. I have replaced 2 of them due to wear but the other 2 were on it when bought and are still OK.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Even 'quality' tyres crack before too long due to the constitution of modern rubber.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Armorall is not the answer, cracking appears between the treads.
If you switch to 155 65 14 tyres there is a big choice. Is there a problem with fitting this size of tyre?
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Ah, yes, I see - I was thinking sidewalls. :(
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I think that with the mileage most of us do in our Minors,a budget tyre will do just fine!
My tyres were fitted some years ago,still loads of tread but the rubber is looking a bit iffy. Changing them all soon.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:23 am Armorall is not the answer, cracking appears between the treads.
If you switch to 155 65 14 tyres there is a big choice. Is there a problem with fitting this size of tyre?
Yes. They're the wrong size in terms of profile. this, in simplistic terms means that the sidewall won't be high enough - if that makes sense - so the tyre won't have the diameter it should and will also look wrong. It WILL fit - Some will say that a 155 section (the width) is a little too wide but in reality a lot of Minor owners fit that size without a problem. I wouldn't personally fit a 65 section tyre as it'll look wrong and you'll lower the overall gearing of the car due to the smaller rolling radius: The overall diameter will be less.
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

I ordered a set of Bridgestone B381 145/80 R14 from Pneus online. £55 each which I thought was pretty decent.
They seem to be a very close match profile-wise to the original crossplys I'm replacing. Just waiting to have them fitted so I can provide a fuller report once I've driven a few miles on them.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ca ... -t-kz.html

Chris
"Gussie", the 1954 Series 2.
My blog: https://castanley.wixsite.com/mysite

MMOC member
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I believe they are summer tyres, is that correct?
I would love to know if winter tyres are less prone to cracking between the treads because they are made of softer 'riubber'.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 pm I believe they are summer tyres, is that correct?
I would love to know if winter tyres are less prone to cracking between the treads because they are made of softer 'riubber'.
The Bridgestone 381 is an All Season Tyre: https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyr ... r14-76t-kz
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

B381 Tyres listed on ebay are summer tyres. The tyres Chris put a link to are summer tyres.
Are winter tyres less prone to cracking between the treads??????????????