Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Willienelson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Willienelson »

Morning all!

I’m Pete and I’m a newbie to the MMOC!

My son (19) and I have decided to get into the classic car scene and although I’ve a soft spot for the ad016 Austins, we decided between us that a minor would be the best place to start our classic car journey.
The cars are simple enough for us to work out what we are doing, old enough that spares are available and (according to practical classic magazine), the owners club is excellent.

We may have even found the right car and if the car is as good as the owner says we’ll be on the road very soon!

I apologise for the daft questions we are no doubt going to ask, I’ll be checking message board history for the common questions but I’m bound to miss some!

Looking forward to seeing you all on the road

Pete
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Newbie

Post by KeithL »

Welcome Pete. It's particularly good to see another 'youngster' (if I may call your son that) getting involved with classic cars. The Owners Club is indeed excellent and you will have access to lots of help if you need it. Enjoy your car once you get it on the road.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent choice :) . In my (probably biased) opinion, the Morris Minor is still the best all-round "first classic" for anybody who wants a simple car to enjoy and tinker with. A good Minor will drive better than most people expect and has great spares back-up. It is a more straightforward car to work on than the ADO16 and there are more of them about - and more spare parts of course.

There are still plenty of Morris Minors for sale and despite rising prices, reasonable cars do still exist without having to re-mortgage your house. A Minor 1000 saloon in sound condition but slightly shabby appearance probably provides the best/most affordable starting point and shouldn't cost the earth. Hopefully you'll find one without TOO much of the dreaded rust in the structure. You might have to look at a few though.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with!
Castanley
Minor Friendly

Post by Castanley »

Welcome to the forum, Pete.

I'm in the same situation as a first time classic car owner. I also decided to go for a Morris Minor due to the parts availability and excellent club. Don't worry about silly questions as I'll be asking many of them myself!
If you're interested then there's a link to my blog below where I'm documenting my experiences as I learn my way around the Minor. 😄

Chris
"Gussie", the 1954 Series 2.
My blog: https://castanley.wixsite.com/mysite

MMOC member
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Brilliant, thanks everyone.

Concours example not on my list fortunately!
We want a good solid useable car that we can use and enjoy.

As for young uns, according to practical classics, the average age of car ownership is increasing, not good but joseph and his mates are really getting into classics, so hopefully that’ll help a little!

And Chris, absolutely brilliant, I’ll be keeping an eye on that blog!

Pete
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Brilliant, thanks everyone.

Concours example not on my list fortunately!
We want a good solid useable car that we can use and enjoy.

As for young uns, according to practical classics, the average age of car ownership is increasing, not good but joseph and his mates are really getting into classics, so hopefully that’ll help a little!

And Chris, absolutely brilliant, I’ll be keeping an eye on that blog!

Pete
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Castanley wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 am Welcome to the forum, Pete.

I'm in the same situation as a first time classic car owner. I also decided to go for a Morris Minor due to the parts availability and excellent club. Don't worry about silly questions as I'll be asking many of them myself!
If you're interested then there's a link to my blog below where I'm documenting my experiences as I learn my way around the Minor. 😄

Chris
Chris, your blog is brilliant, keep it up as I’ll no doubt be referring back to it for tips !

Pete