Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Willienelson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Is moggy insulting?

Post by Willienelson »

Please excuse my ignorance but I’ve heard a lot of people refer to the minor as the moggy.

Do you guys find this term offensive in any way?

Not sure I like it to be honest, but it is a term of endearment I suppose!

Pete
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Is moggy insulting?

Post by myoldjalopy »

'Moggie', 'Moggie Minor' and 'Mog' have been used for years. I don't think they are insulting terms at all. Wait til someone calls your car 'an old wreck/tin can/heap of junk/banger' etc. - then you know they are being insulting! :lol:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Mine had a flat battery this morning. I just knew it had taken umbrage at something!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I can’t think of any reason how it could be offensive in any way. But people are strange these days, they can be offended at anything, I think they call them snowflakes......which probably/hopefully offends them.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

PoolGuy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm I can’t think of any reason how it could be offensive in any way. But people are strange these days, they can be offended at anything, I think they call them snowflakes......which probably/hopefully offends them.
:lol: :lol:

Minors have been referred to as Moggies since at least the 1960s and since they are not sentient beings, they can't get offended by it. Snowflakes however get offended by any and everything, and for some reason seem to last far longer than their natural namesakes.....
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you wrap a snowflake in cotton wool would it feel protected or melt?

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hopefully it would melt!
Numb-brained, waste of space, OTTPC bunch of chocolate teapots!
Oooops, did I offend them! 8) :lol:

As for the term 'Moggy', I'd love to know where it originated but everyone seems to know them by that, even non members / non owners and I've never known anyone be offended by it......

I just thank God I'm not part of the liberal indoctrinated, OTTPC, offended by everything, lets wrap everything / everyone in cotton wool in case you hurt their feelings generation. What a bunch of wimps!!..............

Old fashioned and proud of it!
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Nicely put!
When I come to power things will change!

Pete
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 pm If you wrap a snowflake in cotton wool would it feel protected or melt?
:lol: :lol: Classic, I just may borrow that comment occasionally. :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Moggie insulting ?
Nah.
Morgan drivers call their cars mogs too though, they do seem to possess a lot of MOG number plates.
As for snowflakes, cant stand the term, it seems to apply to anyone that may care for something and disagree with someone else, the offended party it seems to me is the party that uses the term snowflake, having run out of ideas and reverting to insults.
Where angels fear to tread
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Funnily enough, allot of people I know find over patronising, over sensitive, we know better than you do and you really should be doing what we 'advise' you to, living the way we think you should and be converting to our way of thinking / ideology, because you know deep down we are right and if you don't we are going to be really offended and try to trivialise and marginalise you and your opinions in our society, OTTPC liberal Snowflakes, offensive.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I thought a 'snowflake' was just a mollycoddled 'wuss', but for a more detailed definition - and history - looky here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)
Andrew M
MMOC Member: No

Post by Andrew M »

I always understood that Moggy came from MOrris GArage and was softened over time to Moggy, may just be a myth, and someone may have a better answer, but its certainly not insulting, more endearment
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

But of course the reason I come on this website is to escape all that political jargon and concentrate on moggies.
Where angels fear to tread
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Thanks people.

Not sure who I’m insulting these days in this politically correct world!

Nice to know there are still sensible people around.

Pete
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Just to complicate matters further the Reliant Robin is known as the ‘Plastic Pig’. This seems to work as an insult or an endearment, it’s all in the eye of the beholder.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

A former neighbour had a Robin. He joked about putting twin exhausts on and using it as a wheelbarrow.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You really shouldn't knock Robins as they are very enviomentally friendly, the engines metal can be melted down and made into something useful and the car itself takes up no space in landfill whatsoever, just light a small fire and stand by with a dustpan and brush....... :lol:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

They certainly burn fiercely but I’m not sure that burning old fibreglass counts as ‘environmentally friendly’... :-?
Willienelson
Minor Friendly

Post by Willienelson »

Tongue most definitely firmly in the cheek there jagnut!