Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Earling Dean
MMOC Member: Yes

1955 split screen Morris Minor

Post by Earling Dean »

Dear members

was wondering if you could point me in the right direction please as to purchasing basic parts to carry out a service to my Morris Minor 'Monty'

Best regards

Earling Dean
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: 1955 split screen Morris Minor

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, it depends on whether you still have the original 803cc engine, or a later, bigger one as regards oil filter, air filter. And whether you have the points set-up or electronic ignition.
But generally speaking, and assuming you have the points set-up, get points and condensor and rotor from The Distributor Doctor, and other parts, like filters, from the usual suppliers (Wares, ESM, Bull Motif etc. Its worth shopping around for prices). Then you will needs 20/50 engine oil for the engine and gearbox, and Hypoid 90 for the steering rack and rear axle. And a grease gun and a few basic tools.
Find a service schedule for the car and that will help.
Earling Dean

Post by Earling Dean »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 pm Well, it depends on whether you still have the original 803cc engine, or a later, bigger one as regards oil filter, air filter. And whether you have the points set-up or electronic ignition.
But generally speaking, and assuming you have the points set-up, get points and condensor and rotor from The Distributor Doctor, and other parts, like filters, from the usual suppliers (Wares, ESM, Bull Motif etc. Its worth shopping around for prices). Then you will needs 20/50 engine oil for the engine and gearbox, and Hypoid 90 for the steering rack and rear axle. And a grease gun and a few basic tools.
Find a service schedule for the car and that will help.
Thank you for your advice....I've only had this car around four months and the engine has been upgraded to a 948cc engine, it still has the points set up.

I'll see if I can upload a picture over the next couple of days of both engine and outside appearance.

Best regards

Earling
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

OK then, being a 948cc engine, you may need a paper air filter - or maybe not, depending on the type of filter used! Some 948 models used an oil bath filter - and others used the dry paper element (inside a housing that looks a bit like a saucepan!). You will need the paper oil filter for a 948, assuming it hasn't been adapted for a screw-on type. So, some pics would help if you are unsure.
With regard to ignition components, I mention 'Distributor Doctor' as people on here have had early failure problems with sub-standard condensors and rotor arms in particular, but his are second to none. His points are superior quality as well.