Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

A Series book?

Post by CaliTrav »

Hi all,

I've got access to an old A Series engine (probably a 948cc but unconfirmed) which came out of a donor car and isn't being used at all (also no plans for it to be used). Condition unknown as the car wasn't running when it was stripped.

I'm relatively new into the ownership side of things and it's an ideal opportunity for me to play with a unit on the workbench without affecting the one in my traveller that's currently working...!

What I'd really like to do over a long term is strip it down and rebuild it. I'm quite happy to go gung ho with a socket set but the point of me doing it is to learn more about it in the process. Does anyone know of a book on the A series engine that will talk me through a strip down and rebuild (so I do it properly?)

I've had a look on Google but all I can find are the books about tuning, which I can't tell if they'll do a complete strip and rebuild before buying it. I have the Haynes manual and original Workshop Manual, but don't know if either has enough information to do what I'm trying to?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: A Series book?

Post by philthehill »

The original BMC workshop manual will tell you everything you need to know about the 'A' Series.

If you require additional information just ask on here.

As an aside what are you trying to do that is not covered by the BMC wksp manual?

Not exactly a repair manual but good for getting to know the 'A' Series;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-A-SERIES ... Sw-LldRHs3

CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks Phil,

I wrote this at work without the manual to hand so couldn't see if it didn't include anything. But from your response it should tell me all I will need to know and as you say there's the forum for any questions along the way. (Maybe that's why there's no book on it that I can find!)
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks Phil,

I wrote this at work without the manual to hand so couldn't see if it didn't include anything. But from your response it should tell me all I will need to know and as you say there's the forum for any questions along the way. (Maybe that's why there's no book on it that I can find!)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There are plenty of books relating to the 'A' Series - here is a selection:-

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61780&p=567112&hili ... ns#p567112

Whilst many may relate to modifying the 'A' Series they do contain useful information relating to the standard 'A' Series as well as modified 'A' Series.

The Marina wksp manual is better for engine renovation/repair as it goes into more detail - the Marina was not only fitted with the 1275cc engine but also with a 1098cc engine similar to the Minor

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Doing something (rather than just reading about it) is sometimes the best way to learn about the way it was constructed.
I had a spare rib case gearbox that I managed to crack the bellhousing on (in several places - don't ask - not my proudest moment)……... Anyway I have a few spare ones now but they all seem to have the same problem to a greater of lesser degree, in that the input shaft 'wiggles' a bit.
I have bought an input shaft bearing but I had never taken a 1098 gearbox apart before.
Now, the reason I was really upset with myself for breaking that bellhousing was because that box had run like a dream and yes, you guessed it, had a nice tight input shaft.
So I thought, why not...……
With nothing to loose I took it apart. Sure enough, all the gear teeth are in good order and I have discovered just how simple a design it is.
I now have a box of known good spares, a spare remote gearchange unit, a spare gearbox back end...…….
…….. and one scrap housing...…. :roll:
As a result I will now happily strip down one of the other boxes in due course and see if I can rebuild it. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)