Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starting Dad's old Minor

Post by SteveClem »

They changed the name to Corsa, seems that in Spanish or Portuguese speaking nations ‘Nova’ means ‘Won’t go’. :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

They changed the name to Corsa, seems that in Spanish or Portuguese speaking nations ‘Nova’ means ‘Won’t go’. :wink:
:lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

the yanks did a chevy nova. quite a good car
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Morning everyone

My moggy is garaged where I live but can anybody tell me what she’ll be like at starting if left outside overnight or all day in the rain or even snow ?

Alice x
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Starting a Moggy in snow and wet conditions should cause no problems. Giving the ignition system a good spray with WD40 helps keep the damp at bay.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

A garage will help of course but our Morris Minor is used almost daily and lives outside all year round whatever the weather. It still starts without difficulty come rain or shine :)
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Hello folks

I’m so sorry to bother you again but as I said my best friend was coming round today to have a look at my late dads Morris, she didn’t get here till about 4pm , I opened the garage and cos it’s a bit tight she had to climb in my side and scoot across, I turned the ignition on and gave her full choke and turned the key, I was over the moon , she started 1st try so I backed her out the garage, I switched her off and we got out and had a look round her, spur of the moment we decided to go for something to eat so I popped back in the house to change my shoes for some heels and grab my bag , when we came back bearing in mind I hadn’t altered anything, I turned the key and she didn’t start, I tried another 5 times but she only turned over, I adjusted the choke to 3/4 then 1/2 way but still only turned over , after leaving her for 30 minutes Anne had a try but she didn’t even splutter , eventually Anne ran the battery flat , does anybody have any ideas why she’d do this to me ?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi Alice
It's very possible that it flooded.
Remember what I said earlier about the basic principle of the fuel vapour/air mix needing to be just right.

I'm thinking that if you tried to start it on full choke it may already have been warm enough not to need much if any choke, so going Full to 3/4 then 1/2 all you were doing was making the plugs wet with fuel.
When that happens you can't get a spark because there is no gap to jump, just a wet surface to short it out.

I'd bet if you charge the battery and try it, it'll be fine.
Basil the 1955 series II

Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Flooded ..... that fast , she could have only have been running 10 seconds before I switched her off and about 10 minutes before I tried starting her again, I just assumed she’d just start right up , in future I might be better off trying every start without choke and gradually introduce it 1/4 choke at a time until I get the hang of how she starts
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Alice,
Minors and chokes can be funny things to get used to, sometimes they need it full on to start, sometimes only half, sometimes none at all.
If I've had mine running for a while then switch off, leave it to do something else (for example change, as you said), I could start it without any choke and just rev it a couple of times and she'd be fine.
It's all a question of familiarity, as has been said, the more you use her the more you'll get to know her ways.......
A fully charged battery is a must though.
On a positive note though is the ease of access to work on things if you do have a problem, for example thanks to their excellent ground clearance I have changed out a duff starter motor in Tescos car park before now, within half an hour, without the need to jack her up off the ground.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Alice Minor wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm Flooded ..... that fast , she could have only have been running 10 seconds before I switched her off and about 10 minutes before I tried starting her again, I just assumed she’d just start right up , in future I might be better off trying every start without choke and gradually introduce it 1/4 choke at a time until I get the hang of how she starts
I think that would be a good approach. :)
You say 10 seconds, but that is extraordinary nippy to get out of the garage.
I would guess it to me more like 30sec.
My Minor stars with very little choke on a moderately cold day like we have at the moment.
As soon as I start Basil, I push the choke in and reverse out of the garage.

Every day is a different day with a choke technology engine..... :roll: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

There is good chance that you have flattened the battery by having multiple starts and not enough running to re-charge it.
When this happens the battery voltage drops and there is not enough in it to both turn the engine over and to create the ignition sparks needed.
Do you have a starting handle ?, that would probably have worked as then all the available battery voltage gets used for the sparks and not for the starter motor.

As said above, charge the battery and it will probably be OK, but either keep it on a trickle charger when in the garage, or give it a decent run to top up the battery. This is more important if you have a dynamo fitted and not got the alternator conversion for better charging.

Phil
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

SUCCESS 😜

I’ve gone into work early and took my dads moggy

Decided a different approach of trying without choke then introducing it bit by bit , 1st try without and nothing so 1/4 choke and nothing, 1/2 choke and she spluttered, tried again and she spluttered again so went for 3/4 and she started , backed her out the garage, left her running while I closed the garage door and backed off the drive , began to drive and into 3rd gear and pushed it into 1/2 way , came to a roundabout, little bit kangaroo as I pulled away but she didn’t stall , about 1/2 mile later I pushed it in and she was fine so at work now and chuffed to bits 😁

I definitely think it’s a better approach to take , better to take 4 or 5 try’s and get her started rather than going for full choke and possibly flooding her

Thx guys

Alice x
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done! It seems 3/4 choke works well for your car then. Maybe less in summer. And the drive to and from work will charge the battery again.
As you drive her more and more you will become more aquainted with the 'personality' of the car and how she responds to things like starting, braking, gear changes etc. (remember there's no synchromesh in first so don't go into first whilst on the move).
A Minor in good working order is a pleasure to drive. I don't know when the car was last serviced but they do need more regular maintenance than a modern one. Hopefully you have a manual with servicing details in it. Basic servicing is pretty easy, if sometimes dirty! Latex gloves will guard against the grease, dirt and oil
Enjoy! 8)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

If at any time you are tempted/obliged to use the starting handle check out our chum Jowett Javelin's demonstration on how to do it first:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLiGqC_YsI
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 am Well done! It seems 3/4 choke works well for your car then. Maybe less in summer. And the drive to and from work will charge the battery again.
As you drive her more and more you will become more aquainted with the 'personality' of the car and how she responds to things like starting, braking, gear changes etc. (remember there's no synchromesh in first so don't go into first whilst on the move).
A Minor in good working order is a pleasure to drive. I don't know when the car was last serviced but they do need more regular maintenance than a modern one. Hopefully you have a manual with servicing details in it. Basic servicing is pretty easy, if sometimes dirty! Latex gloves will guard against the grease, dirt and oil
Enjoy! 8)

Yeah , I found out about the synchromesh for 1st gear when I was going to slow for 1st gear and it crunched 😂, I went back into 2nd and tried to get her moving but stalled her , latex gloves would have to be a must since I have long nails 😂, can’t go to work with oily hands 😂, I’m actually feeling confident about starting her after work rather than wondering if she will start but I’ll try the same method I did in my garage this morning 👍
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah , I found out about the synchromesh for 1st gear when I was going to slow for 1st gear and it crunched 😂,
Once you get a bit more praticed at driving the car you might want to have a go at double de-clutching for a change down to first whilst moving. Rather unnerving (and probably still a bit crunchy!) when you first try it but strangely satisfying once you master the technique. Many years ago I had one of the original Fiat 500's (not the Topolino - the one after) on which all four gears were non-synchro so, for me, it was a case of needs must.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Myrtles Man wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:07 am
Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah , I found out about the synchromesh for 1st gear when I was going to slow for 1st gear and it crunched 😂,
Once you get a bit more praticed at driving the car you might want to have a go at double de-clutching for a change down to first whilst moving. Rather unnerving (and probably still a bit crunchy!) when you first try it but strangely satisfying once you master the technique. Many years ago I had one of the original Fiat 500's (not the Topolino - the one after) on which all four gears were non-synchro so, for me, it was a case of needs must.

Sounds frightening to be honest !!! , I’m just glad I’ve managed to get her started and stay running to drive her , I’m hoping I’m not the first to think this but I’m quite nervous of forgetting to push the choke in once I’m driving cos I’ve usually got a lot on my mind on the way to work and I’ve read up that if left out to long she will flood and stall then won’t start again so I hope I don’t do that
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

I hope everyone is ok about me posting my experiences on here ? , if so then anything you think I’m doing wrong or could be done a better way PLEASE don’t hesitate to shout up 👍
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am I hope everyone is ok about me posting my experiences on here ?
Of course it's okay. It take me back to when we first got our Traveller and the fun and games we had. The first time we took it out we got stranded coming home because we hadn't mastered the hot/cold choke in/out and ended up flooding it. You will soon get the hang of it (and learn all sorts of skills you never knew you needed).

You may have already told us this in which case apologies, but do you know the service history of the car? If you are going to drive it regularly you may want to consider at least getting it looked over by someone who knows their way around a Morris - oil, coolant, brakes, all round lubrication etc. As myoldjalopy said, these older cars need more regular servicing than modern cars. A check over every 3,000 miles is recommended.