Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Many thanks

Post by SteveClem »

..to Derbyshire Police, who protected our Minor with a traffic car and flashing lights last evening. The fuel pump failed on a busy,narrow,winding road at twilight and it was a pretty scary experience.
The traffic Bobby waited with us until our friend arrived to recover us on his trailer, and then helped push the car to safety. Nearly an hour in all. Also to local resident Brian, from Heage, who came to check that we were ok and let my wife use his loo!
Less impressed by the RAC,who gave us a waiting time of minimum 4 hours before they could attend!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Many thanks

Post by geoberni »

Glad you're OK.
Police are pretty good at doing that, when I broke down on the A1 twice in a matter of months, (in 2 different counties) I had a good response.
Lincolnshire Cops helped me push Basil to a lay-by that was about 300yds further on, it was a busy Saturday afternoon, so we had a Blue Light driving behind us.
A few weeks later, on a very quiet Sunday Morning, Leicestershire Cops keep us safe and stayed with us until RAC turned up.

In both cases the RAC were about an hour, the first time the RAC guy did say that some of their rural jobs were taking about 3-4 hours, but then that was Lincolnshire where everything is by medieval sand timer rather than stopwatch.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

SteveClem wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:13 am ..to Derbyshire Police, who protected our Minor with a traffic car and flashing lights last evening. The fuel pump failed on a busy,narrow,winding road at twilight and it was a pretty scary experience.
The traffic Bobby waited with us until our friend arrived to recover us on his trailer, and then helped push the car to safety. Nearly an hour in all. Also to local resident Brian, from Heage, who came to check that we were ok and let my wife use his loo!
Less impressed by the RAC,who gave us a waiting time of minimum 4 hours before they could attend!
Why not send your thanks to Derbyshire police as well (if not already done so) people are always quick to berate the police and a quick word of thanks for the officers goes a long way.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Done that! :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Spent some time on the car this afternoon. The fuel pump is ok , but the fuel hose from the pump to the carb has turned to mush inside. Looks perfect from the outside.
Despite advice from forum gurus about not using inline filters, I have always kept one between the pump and the carb. In the full light of day it was full of dark rubbery mush. The carb was fine.
So I’ve replaced the fuel hose with one resistant to ethanol,new inline filter, and taken her for a decent run. All seems fine. The carb looks clean.
Have I missed anything? :wink: