Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
docgibbons
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

footman james

Post by docgibbons »

i have two minors, one converted saloon and one saloon, both insured with footman james, and this year's premium (including agreed values and basic breakdown cover) came to £240.
the policy is due for renewal in december, and i asked for a quote removing "drive to work" (don't work any more) and including "home start". And got a quote for £293, which seems a big increase.
i spoke to a FJ representative, and he said something about the £240 coming as a "bundle", and as home start was not included in any of their "bundles" then it could only be included as a "separate quote". And that was their price. Even so, i said, sounds an expensive upgrade, but he just repeated "not part of the bundle" in a take it or leave it kind of way.
Im tempted to look elsewhere, so has anyone found a better deal moving from FJ?
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: footman james

Post by geoberni »

I found a similar 'take it or leave it' attitude over my Ford Kuga insurance.
I use the car for my personal business travel and FJ weren't very helpful about the definition of Business use, which changed a little in the wording/classification this year.
I decided to do a Compare the Meerkat and ended up with the AA Insurance instead.
Basil the 1955 series II

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

From another insurance thread,
PoolGuy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:36 pm I used ERS https://www.ers.com after Footman James turned out to be complete time wasting idiots.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It’s a pity. They used to be ok. I’ve been using a broker lately. Just less than 400 quid for 2 Minors, anA30,a Beetle and an old Landy. Strict mileage restrictions, but fine for us.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Try RH a very good company :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Doesn't the club have some kind of 'exclusive car insurance scheme' with FJ? Perhaps it should be looking into this and getting a better deal with another company?
Dogsdad
Minor Friendly

Post by Dogsdad »

I use RH and find them very good.
R.M.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:43 am Doesn't the club have some kind of 'exclusive car insurance scheme' with FJ? Perhaps it should be looking into this and getting a better deal with another company?
It's normally just a form of advertising, FJ pay the club £xxxx a year and get a mention in the club mag, then they offer an undisclosed discount which is impossible for the member to quantify.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Footman james advertise on all the big club forums !! they don't do the Minor club any favours :lol:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Looked at insuring ours for my 17 year old son, fj wanted £1200, adrian flux are adverising they will insure a 17 year old for £1000, in the end we decided to wait until he passes his test, I'm told others have got it even lower with a bit of ringing around.
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i think the club ought to clarify what they mean by the word "exclusive" in their advertised "scheme" with FJ.
and what kind of scheme?
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Dogsdad wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:42 pm I use RH and find them very good.
R.M.
agreed. 2 MM and 2 Austin. All in £182.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

I used fj for 2 years until I sold my MG and went to cancel the policy after 2 months use, they wanted to charged me £40 to cancel the policy and told me that I would get a very small fraction of the cost of the policy back.
I argued the case that I accept a percentage of the policy would be charged but not nearly 3/4 of the cost of it, not a great company for me so I always Gocompare now and havent had an issue.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

when you went to Go Compare what insurance company did they come up with? And was there any issue with agreed value?
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

For those who don't know, if you are insuring a young person as the main driver it is worth adding a couple of adults as named drivers, for some reason it reduces the premiums as well as being handy (but if they keep their car in the state my daughter does you will never want to drive it!).
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Try RH I find them a great company and nothing is too much trouble for them over the phone and very good quotes.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

Having used Peter James for last 4 years I thought I would give FJ another chance last month since I had been told they were now more competitive. With 4 Minors their premium on a like for like basis was about £450 or £150 more than PJ. However by then adding my modern car it only increased the premium by £75. Overall I saved nearly £150 then I discovered the charge for car breakdown in UK and Europe of £150 was a separate policy which FJ cancelled and refunded as I already have AA Gold membership covering all my family's cars. An overall saving of £300 !!
It is worth getting a combined quote - you too might make a saving over separate policies.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

I have been with RH for many years and don't plan to change, But ; I am a bit peeved
that they insist on adding services that i don't need or want.
Breakdown - I already pay RAC a vast sum for ' arrival ' which covers the Minor,
Foreign travel ! I rarely venture outside Sussex and don't have a passport so don't
need it. They say it is part of the package and is not costing me any more but at the
end of the day someone has to foot the bill. I would prefer not to have these services
that I don't need and pay a reduced premium. Rant over but staying with RH !
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

I was with FJ for years but when the premium reached over £130 I rang RH and their quote was £50 less. I have stayed with RH and the premium hasn't gone up too much. Also there is no mileage limitation with RH.