Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Time for change

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Not being a fan of smoking I have no desire to have unnecessary ashtrays cluttering up my interior.
With that in mind the period extra one, screwed to the tunnel in the back for rear passengers has been removed and will be on my 'free spares' pile by my car at the next National.
However I did want a clock up front and being that period correct ones for the passenger glove box lid are so expensive, if you can find one, plus the badge on my lid is in reasonable nick and I'm happy to keep it, I decided to see what other period car clocks there might be for sale out there....
To cut to the chase, I found a nice 52mm 'Smiths Electric' one, with a cream face and brown numerals / hands, which nicely matches my series 2 instruments, so I have had it repaired and altered the centre grill section to accommodate it.
Which means goodbye to the original chrome ashtray. It too will now be on the 'free spares' pile.............

Incidently, I did consider swapping to an earlier centre vane section with no ashtray cut out but I couldn't find one and I considered it less 'heretical' to alter the more common (with ashtray cutout) version that I already had.....

Should I put in the order for my pre firing squad breakfast now.............

Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
DSCF3419.JPG
DSCF3419.JPG (764.39 KiB) Viewed 969 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Time for change

Post by ManyMinors »

That looks GREAT and much more useful than an ashtray :)
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

Looks fabulous! :D
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The ashtrays in the pre-65 cars are of little use anyway, if you enjoy a smoke at the wheel and are right-handed.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks, I like it and thought I'd post it up as an alternative idea for clock mounting, which means people are not tied to the expensive original one and have to loose the glove box lid badge.
However I did wonder if I might be frogmarched out and shot at dawn, given its a series 2 centre vane section......

The ashtrays in the pre-65 cars are of little use anyway, if you enjoy a smoke at the wheel and are right-handed.
An interesting point, as most car ashtrays of the period that I have seen are centrally mounted.......
Perhaps the customer was expected to be ambidextrous........

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:14 am The ashtrays in the pre-65 cars are of little use anyway, if you enjoy a smoke at the wheel and are right-handed.
Speaking as a non-smoker and from personal observation when all cars were so equipped, I suspect that centrally-fitted ashtrays were for the convenience of left-handed drivers and/or right-handed passengers, opposite-handed smokers being catered for by the fitment of quarterlights. 8)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My great uncle’s Hillman Minx had a special pipe ashtray. I doubt that it was original equipment though..mid sixties. :lol:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

My great uncle’s Hillman Minx had a special pipe ashtray
Funnily enough pipe smoke I've never had an issue with, perhaps because most are scented / aromatic.
I've always thought pipes to be the sign of a gentleman. People who smoke them always seem to be more quiet and thoughtful anyway, or perhaps that's because you have to be more patient to smoke a pipe in the first place......
It always seemed more civilised than 'having a fag', that just reminds me of the rat race, everything in a hurry because there's no time to even draw breath!.......
Best wishes,
Mike.