Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Flywheel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

New member from Essex.

Post by Flywheel »

Hello everyone, I've just joined the club and purchased my first Morris a 1971 Traveller.

I've always been interested in classic cars and buses, and i've owned a 1955 upright Ford pop for 27 years. Sadly the Ford had to go to make way for the Morris. Such is the way of garage space. At age 64 all i want to do now is a little light tinkering, and leave all the heavier work behind.

May i also offer my thanks to the many contributors on here who have asked questions, and those good folk who have responded. This forum is a gold mine of information, and it is very interesting. I can see i've a great deal of reading to do; great stuff folks. Thanks.

Kind regards, and all the best for Christmas. Jonnie-79018
Attachments
P1040267.JPG
P1040267.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: New member from Essex.

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That's a nice looking traveller you have there. Maroon B sets it off well too.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Hello and welcome Jonnie. An early Christmas present to yourself then, eh? If so - like your style :D .

Seriously though, as a relative newbie myself and by no manner of means a technical or mechanical expert, I must say I have found the folks on this site (and in person at the NEC Classic Car Show) to be very friendly and an absolutely invaluable source of info and advice that no workshop manual could hope to provide.

By the looks of that very smart traveller though, all you'll need to do is put petrol in it every so often.....and give the tyres a kick now and then :D :D .

Cheers,
Alan
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Mike & Alan, thanks for your welcome chaps.

I never thought i'd buy one of these, but i'm very glad i did. My old upright Pop was a bit of a character but it could be very slow with only 10hp.Not to mention the vacuum wiper.

I took the traveller out for a drive around with my neighbour on the first day. Blimey its like chalk and cheese. The heater is lovely and toasty, and the engine pulls very strongly too.Yipeeeeeeeeee.

I've purchased a Haynes workshop manual for the morris, and like many newbies ive got loads to learn.

Thanks again lads. Johnnie.
W. Clement Stone
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Vacuum wipers, the system that wiped the screen slower the faster the vehicle went ?

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Vacuum wipers, the system that wiped the screen slower the faster the vehicle went ?
Am I correct in thinking that this 'invention' was a Ford exclusive? If so, not one of Henry's finest was it?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Jonnie lovely traveller you have there :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the world of Morris Minors :D

Fitting the Ford auxiliary vacuum tank helped keep the wipers going when the throttle was opened wide.

You could always use the operating lever of the wiper vacuum chamber if so desired. 8)

Whilst the Ford Pop was slow in standard form those that had been breathed upon by Leslie Ballamy or used his parts went like the clappers and some could exceed 100mphy especially 'works' Ford Pop 103E registration number 817FHX.

A good read is 'Out In Front'.....The Leslie Ballamy Story by Tony Russell ISBN1-899870-69-5.

I have always been interested in the Ford Pop especially the specials - the first book I ever bought (and still have) was 'The Construction Of Ford Specials' by John Mills and published by Batsford 1960.

Phil

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Vacuum wipers weren’t invented by Ford but by Trico in the US. They were in fairly common use through the twenties and thirties. Ford kept them longer than most, presumably for cheapness, but then the Pop had many features which were completely archaic by the time they stopped making them in 1959. The transverse leaf springs go right back to the model T of 1908.

It seems hard to imagine now that basic electric motors were so expensive that designers would go to such lengths to avoid using them.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Welcome Jonnie, depending on where you are in Essex, the main Essex Branch has events in various places, their next is in Danbury on the last Sunday of January; and there is also a branch in the Saffron Walden area. I'm sure that both would welcome meeting you.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

ianmack wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:56 am
It seems hard to imagine now that basic electric motors were so expensive that designers would go to such lengths to avoid using them.
I saw a fascinating programme on telly a few years ago during which it was claimed that, in the early 1920's when the widespread usage of electrical power was just starting to be introduced, it was envisaged that henceforth, new houses would incorporate a large electric motor in the attic which would drive, via a series of belts and pulleys, all the labour-saving devices that were to enhance future daily life. Mmm, might have made operating an electric toothbrush a bit risky! :o
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

les wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:07 pm Vacuum wipers, the system that wiped the screen slower the faster the vehicle went ?
Hi Les, Yes if you were accelerating, say going uphill the engine vacuum to the wiper unit became nonexistent. In heavy rain it could prove dangerous, as I found out one day on a trip to Suffolk when a months rain poured down in one day. Horrendous. :(
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Owlsman wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:27 pm
Am I correct in thinking that this 'invention' was a Ford exclusive? If so, not one of Henry's finest was it?
Owlsman, I’m not too sure about that. I know a few of the Fords had them fitted, but sensible folk, quickly fitted an electric wiper motor. As my pop wasn’t an everyday driver I thought I’d stick with it. Perhaps Ford fitted these because it may have been a cheaper option, and for basic simplicity. In the 27 years I owned my car I didn’t have any problem with the vacuum motor, they could be very slow.
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

irmscher wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:06 am Hi Jonnie lovely traveller you have there :)
Hi jrmscher thanks. It’s a motor I’ve been hankering after for a while now. I thought blow it, life’s too short eh.
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

philthehill wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 am Welcome to the world of Morris Minors :D

Fitting the Ford auxiliary vacuum tank helped keep the wipers going when the throttle was opened wide.

You could always use the operating lever of the wiper vacuum chamber if so desired. 8)

Whilst the Ford Pop was slow in standard form those that had been breathed upon by Leslie Ballamy or used his parts went like the clappers and some could exceed 100mphy especially 'works' Ford Pop 103E registration number 817FHX.

A good read is 'Out In Front'.....The Leslie Ballamy Story by Tony Russell ISBN1-899870-69-5.

I have always been interested in the Ford Pop especially the specials - the first book I ever bought (and still have) was 'The Construction Of Ford Specials' by John Mills and published by Batsford 1960.

Phil

Hi Phil. Thanks for the welcome, the other book that was doing the rounds of the Ford sidevalve owners club was Dave Turner’s: Ford Popular and the small sidevalves. Published by ‘Osprey’.

It does have a section in the book devoted to specials, it was surprising how many variations there were on offer. Real nice ones too. Thanks for the info on the books you’ve mentioned, I’ll ask my old side valve pals if anyone has a copy of those. Cheers.
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

ianmack wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:56 am Vacuum wipers weren’t invented by Ford but by Trico in the US. They were in fairly common use through the twenties and thirties. Ford kept them longer than most, presumably for cheapness, but then the Pop had many features which were completely archaic by the time they stopped making them in 1959. The transverse leaf springs go right back to the model T of 1908.

Hi ianmack. I had no idea about the history of vacuum wipers, i think the unit fitted to my pop was a Trico. The pull to start wiper lever could be hard to budge. I split my fingernails a few times on mine.

You are correct about the transverse leaf springs on the pop. A real throwback to the old model T. Not hard to see why they stopped production in 1959, after all the mini was the new kid on the block that year. Glad i've purchased the morris though. :D
W. Clement Stone
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

simmitc wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:22 am Welcome Jonnie, depending on where you are in Essex, the main Essex Branch has events in various places, their next is in Danbury on the last Sunday of January; and there is also a branch in the Saffron Walden area. I'm sure that both would welcome meeting you.
Hi simmitc, thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying the club/forum very much indeed.

I was absolutely staggered at the wealth of knowledge and information available. Its going to take me a long time to read through all the posts. Will you please pass on my thanks to your friends and colleagues, who take the time to share their valuable knowledge.

For myself i hail from Hornchurch in Essex. i'll certainly contact a few groups very soon.

Thanks again Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

nice car,and welcome aboard Flywheel :)
i too had a side-valve Ford,a 100E Prefect,and also a Mk2 Consul with the vacuum wipers.great fun in heavy rain..not! :lol:
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Sid, the sidevalves were great fun, but i thought its time for a change. I certainly won't worry about the rain now.

Cheers, Jonnie.
W. Clement Stone