Membership benefits - Esso Fuel Card

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Membership benefits - Esso Fuel Card

Postby geoberni » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 am

Hi
I noted in the Directory booklet with the January magazine that there is now an ESSO Fuel Card available from Fuelpecker, the link available on the main site. You'll need to sign up via the link as that automatically gives them the validation code during the sign up.
I won't put it here because it's an open forum, but essentially if you click through from having signed into the MMOC members area, then the web address contains the required code.

I used to have an ESSO Discount Card issued via Pump King, which was a fixed weekly price.
In December, They rebranded the business to Fuelpecker and all Pump King card holders were invited to apply for a Fuelpecker Card, which I did.
I've not used it yet, but the big difference is that Fuelpecker offer a fixed rate off the pump price wherever you buy.
fuel.JPG
fuel.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Although you have to give them a Reg No when opening the account, you're not restricted to that vehicle, you can use it on any. But like all fuel cards, you can only buy fuel using it, not a car wash, newspaper or snacks that you might want at the same time. :lol:

I just thought I'd share this as I have no idea when they joined the Member Discounts list. but I assume recently.
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Membership benifits - Esso Fuel Card

Postby KeithL » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:56 am

Wow!! Thanks for flagging that up. That's quite a saving. Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned in the magazine (unless it has and I missed it in which case I apologise).

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Postby moggiethouable » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 pm

It does get a mention in the mag and a separate flier with membership benefits, you know the stuff you chuck straight in the recycling :D
Where angels fear to tread

KeithL
Minor Fan

Postby KeithL » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:22 pm

moggiethouable wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 pm
It does get a mention in the mag and a separate flier with membership benefits, you know the stuff you chuck straight in the recycling :D
I saw the name Fuelpecker in the list in the magazine and on the flyer but I had no idea of the sort of savings that could be had. By 'a mention in the magazine' I meant a short piece in the Noticeboard section of the magazine.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Membership benefits - Esso Fuel Card

Postby KeithL » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 am

Well I've signed up. My card should arrive in a few days. I can't help feeling there must be a catch somewhere but I haven't found one yet. What is Fuelpecker's business model?

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 am

The catch for me is that there's no Esso station anywhere near where I travel. Now if only we could have the equivalent card for Shell...

geoberni
Minor Legend

Postby geoberni » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:28 pm

KeithL wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 am
Well I've signed up. My card should arrive in a few days. I can't help feeling there must be a catch somewhere but I haven't found one yet. What is Fuelpecker's business model?
I would assume it's like any other corporate fuel card, except in their case instead of targetting businesses, they are getting masses of general public to sign up in order to generate the turnover to get the discounted bulk price from ESSO.

As I mentioned in my OP, they launched last summer as 'Pump King' and they struggled a bit at first, probably as they got a massive sign-up rate that they couldn't cope with. They launched via Defence Discount Service and Blue Light Discount Cards, plus other clubs/groups like the Camping & Caravanning Club. That offered a fixed rate for a week at a time, which I assume didn't work well in some parts of the country as the pump prices vary considerably even within just a few miles in some parts of the country.
In mid December I got an email saying :
Dear Valued Customer,

We are excited to announce that Pump-King has been purchased by Horizon Fuel Limited and will now operate under Fuelpecker. In order to take advantage of these benefits please click on the link below and sign up for your new Fuelpecker discount card.
But that was BS, because the T&Cs for Pump King were issued by Horizon Fuel Ltd... :roll:
PK.JPG
PK.JPG (85.13 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Postby geoberni » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:21 pm

simmitc wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 am
The catch for me is that there's no Esso station anywhere near where I travel. Now if only we could have the equivalent card for Shell...
Shell has been added to the card as of this month, but unfortunately it's only a 1p discount across all fuel types. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Postby neilmorey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm

I used this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got the discount. A welcome benefit when filling up any car.

don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Postby don58van » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 pm

Not much use for international members. Most of the benefits aren't available to us. We get a raw deal. :evil: :evil:
Don

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Postby SteveClem » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 pm

It’s not worth much if you have to drive miles for a miniscule saving. :wink: