Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Membership benefits - Esso Fuel Card

Post by geoberni »

Hi
I noted in the Directory booklet with the January magazine that there is now an ESSO Fuel Card available from Fuelpecker, the link available on the main site. You'll need to sign up via the link as that automatically gives them the validation code during the sign up.
I won't put it here because it's an open forum, but essentially if you click through from having signed into the MMOC members area, then the web address contains the required code.

I used to have an ESSO Discount Card issued via Pump King, which was a fixed weekly price.
In December, They rebranded the business to Fuelpecker and all Pump King card holders were invited to apply for a Fuelpecker Card, which I did.
I've not used it yet, but the big difference is that Fuelpecker offer a fixed rate off the pump price wherever you buy.
fuel.JPG
fuel.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
Although you have to give them a Reg No when opening the account, you're not restricted to that vehicle, you can use it on any. But like all fuel cards, you can only buy fuel using it, not a car wash, newspaper or snacks that you might want at the same time. :lol:

I just thought I'd share this as I have no idea when they joined the Member Discounts list. but I assume recently.
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Membership benifits - Esso Fuel Card

Post by KeithL »

Wow!! Thanks for flagging that up. That's quite a saving. Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned in the magazine (unless it has and I missed it in which case I apologise).

moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

It does get a mention in the mag and a separate flier with membership benefits, you know the stuff you chuck straight in the recycling :D
Where angels fear to tread
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

moggiethouable wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 pm It does get a mention in the mag and a separate flier with membership benefits, you know the stuff you chuck straight in the recycling :D
I saw the name Fuelpecker in the list in the magazine and on the flyer but I had no idea of the sort of savings that could be had. By 'a mention in the magazine' I meant a short piece in the Noticeboard section of the magazine.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Membership benefits - Esso Fuel Card

Post by KeithL »

Well I've signed up. My card should arrive in a few days. I can't help feeling there must be a catch somewhere but I haven't found one yet. What is Fuelpecker's business model?

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The catch for me is that there's no Esso station anywhere near where I travel. Now if only we could have the equivalent card for Shell...
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

KeithL wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 am Well I've signed up. My card should arrive in a few days. I can't help feeling there must be a catch somewhere but I haven't found one yet. What is Fuelpecker's business model?
I would assume it's like any other corporate fuel card, except in their case instead of targetting businesses, they are getting masses of general public to sign up in order to generate the turnover to get the discounted bulk price from ESSO.

As I mentioned in my OP, they launched last summer as 'Pump King' and they struggled a bit at first, probably as they got a massive sign-up rate that they couldn't cope with. They launched via Defence Discount Service and Blue Light Discount Cards, plus other clubs/groups like the Camping & Caravanning Club. That offered a fixed rate for a week at a time, which I assume didn't work well in some parts of the country as the pump prices vary considerably even within just a few miles in some parts of the country.
In mid December I got an email saying :
Dear Valued Customer,

We are excited to announce that Pump-King has been purchased by Horizon Fuel Limited and will now operate under Fuelpecker. In order to take advantage of these benefits please click on the link below and sign up for your new Fuelpecker discount card.
But that was BS, because the T&Cs for Pump King were issued by Horizon Fuel Ltd... :roll:
PK.JPG
PK.JPG (85.13 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 am The catch for me is that there's no Esso station anywhere near where I travel. Now if only we could have the equivalent card for Shell...
Shell has been added to the card as of this month, but unfortunately it's only a 1p discount across all fuel types. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I used this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got the discount. A welcome benefit when filling up any car.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Not much use for international members. Most of the benefits aren't available to us. We get a raw deal. :evil: :evil:
Don
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It’s not worth much if you have to drive miles for a miniscule saving. :wink:
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Does anyone know if the Fuelpecker cards will be automatically replaced when they expire, or is it a benefit that won't be continued? I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in the magazine for a good while .
The expiry date is next month and it's been handy as there is an Esso station is not far away from home which is opposite a Sainsbury's so they tend to be reasonably priced.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I must have missed this and the link is no longer available on the MMOC members site. However, I am glad somebody mentioned the Defence Discount Service because this is still available if you are a member of DDS (which fortunately I am). It is now an ESSO fuel card from WEX Europe Services and is offering 5p off per litre of Supreme 99. The card also collects Nectar loyalty points.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

neilmorey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 am Does anyone know if the Fuelpecker cards will be automatically replaced when they expire, or is it a benefit that won't be continued? I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in the magazine for a good while .
The expiry date is next month and it's been handy as there is an Esso station is not far away from home which is opposite a Sainsbury's so they tend to be reasonably priced.
Good question, I'm glad you asked it, I've just checked and mine runs out this month. I've messaged them to ask why no new card has arrived.

I do wonder if it can be renewed. The WEX Card that is currently offered through DDS and BL Cards, see below, seems not to be via Fuelpacker but directly from WEX.
svenedin wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:17 am I must have missed this and the link is no longer available on the MMOC members site. However, I am glad somebody mentioned the Defence Discount Service because this is still available if you are a member of DDS (which fortunately I am).

Stephen
That was me that mentioned it. I have a DDS Card and a Blue light Card (BLC), the WEX Card is currently available through both, although the offer has different expiry dates on the 2 sites. DDSC on 12 May, BLC on 31 Jan. :-?
So if anyone here has a Blue Light Card and wants a WEX Fuel Card, get in quickly, in case the offer doesn't renew.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:46 pm
neilmorey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 am Does anyone know if the Fuelpecker cards will be automatically replaced when they expire, or is it a benefit that won't be continued? I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in the magazine for a good while .
Good question, I'm glad you asked it, I've just checked and mine runs out this month. I've messaged them to ask why no new card has arrived.

I do wonder if it can be renewed. The WEX Card that is currently offered through DDS and BL Cards, see below, seems not to be via Fuelpacker but directly from WEX.
svenedin wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:17 am I must have missed this and the link is no longer available on the MMOC members site. However, I am glad somebody mentioned the Defence Discount Service because this is still available if you are a member of DDS (which fortunately I am).

Stephen
That was me that mentioned it. I have a DDS Card and a Blue light Card (BLC), the WEX Card is currently available through both, although the offer has different expiry dates on the 2 sites. DDSC on 12 May, BLC on 31 Jan. :-?
So if anyone here has a Blue Light Card and wants a WEX Fuel Card, get in quickly, in case the offer doesn't renew.
Thank you for mentioning it!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I have contacted Fuelpecker to ask about my replacement card and got this response:

We understand that your FuelPecker fuel card has recently expired, and you have not received a replacement card. We apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused.

We have some exciting news on the horizon that we cannot wait to share with you. In the meantime we appreciate your continued patience and we look forward to sharing the new proposition (and some double discounts) as soon as possible.

Thank you for being a valued FuelPecker customer.

I then asked if the issuing of a replacement card will therefore be delayed until the exciting news is announced and got this response which I assume is longhand for 'Yes':

We sincerely apologize for the delay in supplying you with a replacement Fuelpecker fuel card. As mentioned previously, we have some exciting news on the horizon (and some double discounts) that we cannot wait to share with you. While we can't provide specific details just yet, we want to express our gratitude for your continued support.

Thank you for being a valued FuelPecker customer and we look forward to sharing our exciting news with you in the next few weeks.

Has anyone successfully used their card this February?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I had the same experience, I went further than you and asked a 3rd time, getting more forthright in questioning their lack of information and still the same stock response.

I went on Trust Pilot and left a 1* Review, copying the text of the responses,to see what the effect would be...

Less than 24 hours later I got a phone Call from a guy at Fuelpecker apologising for the semi automated responses; basically the person answering emails just selects the nearest auto-fill option and then presses Send.

He was on the phone almost 10 minutes, explaining how it worked, how they are just effectively a reseller from an account they have with WEX, and they are currently negotiating with WEX on a new contract which has dragged on a bit. They're obviously not happy because they're now loosing sales, etc..

He eventually got around to bringing up the Trust Pilot Review; to which I replied "Well, I wondered when you'd get to that, the sooner you get this resolved, the sooner I might increase the number of stars", he took the point and said he hoped it would be resolved soon.
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Has anyone used their Fuelpecker card in February?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

KeithL wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:20 am Has anyone used their Fuelpecker card in February?
No, I've just emailed them this morning saying it's been over 2 weeks, so what's happening?
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I had to fill up with Diesel earlier and took a chance with my Fuelpecker card. It was accepted without a problem and I assume I will still get the normal discount.