Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
will.broad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Pins in tyres

Post by will.broad »

Sorry about the rant but need to get this off my chest.
I park my car in the road and use it most days to take me elderly parents to the hospital.
In the past two weeks I have woken up and found pins like drawing pins but with tips on the end in the sidewall of my tyres.
This is starting to get me down now. I cant afford a garage and need my car most days.

I know nothing can be done about it apart from selling my car but feel better for writing this.

I have had the morris for over a year without any problems and now this when I need it the most. :(
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Pins in tyres

Post by taupe »

How terrible.. :o

I would suggest sticking a note in your window asking them to please stop and say that you use the car to take your elderly parents to the hospital.

If they have any remaining decency they will desist..... :evil: :evil:

Taupe
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Add a note to the note suggesting the area is covered by CCTV?

Alan
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

Yes im looking into cctv but im not too tech savy.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

ask your neighbours to keep an eye out for any low-life's loitering about..and mention it to your local beat bobby or pcso person,if you have one.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

The problem is catching someone in the act but as this seems to be a regular occurrence it might be worth keeping watch for a while, if you’re prepared to do that. What you would do if you saw the offence occur, would be up to you. I’ll resist offering some suggestions. I believe these people are of little worth but of course you have to weigh up the consequences of any action.

Bettythemoggie
Minor Friendly

Post by Bettythemoggie »

Really sorry to hear this. Maybe like the others say, put a note big enough for them to read letting them know there is CCTV watching the car. This, hopefully, will be enough.
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

Thanks for the replies.
As the pins are in the sidewalls they cant be repaired but was thinking of fitting innertubes as its going to be cheaper . I had an inner tube in the last tire they attacked but this one is without one.
I was told its illegal to fit a tube in a tubeless tire but my other tire had one as the rim was rusty and would not seal without a tube.
Not too sure about sidewall damage but its only a pin hole.
Im hoping my friendly tyre fitter will fit a tube. I was thinking of doing it myself but need a tyre bead breaker.
I have changed motorcycle tyres but cars are harder
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Don't warn the low life that you have cctv,get a cheap one get the image and take it to the local police station,end of lowlife
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I have fitted a dash cam to my daily. Around £150 quid at Halfords. Then I fitted a warning sticker to each window. That was about a year ago. I've had no bother since.
The sticker in the rear window puts tail gaters off too.
It may seem expensive. But I consider it money well spent.
Where angels fear to tread
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Not wishing to be a Job's Comforter but isn't there a danger that passing scum will break into your car to nick the camera equipment? :o
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Some spray-in via the valve puncture sealant might do the trick...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

When i say cctv I mean in the house pointing out the window towards the car.
I was thinking of spray in sealant or slime as its only a pin hole it may seal ok
or put inner tube in it with slime. I want to save the tire as its got good tread.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I suspect I know why nobody's mentioned this but DO report it to the police. Tampering with tyres could cause a dangerous accident. It migh not be just your car they are targeting.

I'll pass on what the police said to me when I had a bicycle vandalised at the station. and they saw me walking it home. "It's always worth reporting as the more incidents reported in a certain area, the more resources can be allocated to that area.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 pm Some spray-in via the valve puncture sealant might do the trick...
Two problems I can see with that....
A) Unless they are much longer than drawing pins, they won't go all the way through the sidewall
B) Even if they are long enough, they'll likely seal until the car is moved and the sidewall flexes.
But 10/10 for thinking of it. :)

Myrtles Man wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:36 am Not wishing to be a Job's Comforter but isn't there a danger that passing scum will break into your car to nick the camera equipment? :o
Probably wouldn't do much good inside the car, better placed in a bedroom window..... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

will.broad wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:08 pm
I was told its illegal to fit a tube in a tubeless tire but my other tire had one as the rim was rusty and would not seal without a tube.
I found this info online:
https://www.bigtyres.co.uk/blog/fitting ... tyres.html

I don't think it's actually illegal, because they would have said so, but not recommended for technically sound safety reasons.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

geoberni wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Chipper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 pm Some spray-in via the valve puncture sealant might do the trick...
A) Unless they are much longer than drawing pins, they won't go all the way through the sidewall
B) Even if they are long enough, they'll likely seal until the car is moved and the sidewall flexes.
I think you're thinking of something else entirely - tyre repair plugs, maybe? I was referring to the spray foam gloop you can readily buy to seal small leaks.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chipper wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:53 pm
geoberni wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pm
I think you're thinking of something else entirely - tyre repair plugs, maybe? I was referring to the spray foam gloop you can readily buy to seal small leaks.
Ahh I misconstrued your meaning... I thought you were looking to cover the miscreants in gunk, or at least get their hands covered in it squirting out. :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

There was an amusing incident with that stuff a few years ago, when I used it to seal a puncture in a pushbike I intended to try and sell at a bike shop conveniently just across the road. My youngest brother knew the owner, so I got him to take it over there and hopefully sell it.

The owner took it into his shop, and was looking over it for a few minutes, trying to price it up, when all of a sudden the repaired tyre exploded with apparently quite a bang, spraying foam everywhere! My younger brother swiftly came back, not best amused. :oops:

I can't recall if the bike actually sold there or not...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Memo to self

Not to buy a car off Chipper...

John :lol: