Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BEJT1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Pre MOT check

Post by BEJT1 »

I am not a fan of MOT testing for Historic vehicles but like the idea of an experienced mechanic checking the structural integrity and general safety of my cars regularly. Does anyone ask a mechanic to carry out a pre MOT test to identify work that may need to be carried out?
Attachments
1970 Traveller in Pale Ivory.
1970 Traveller in Pale Ivory.
Screenshot_20200130-174438_Gallery.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1585 times
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Pre MOT check

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Where abouts are you ?
BEJT1
Minor Friendly

Post by BEJT1 »

I am in Whitley Bay.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

I’m in the West Midlands so I’m afraid I cannot help . Hopefully somebody more local to you may be able to assist . Best of luck !
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Slight thread drift...

Can one have a MOT check , but not go " on the system " ?

John ;-)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I can’t answer your specific request but If you simply ask a garage to check things over for safety, Without mentioning the word mot, that’s basically what you will get.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Its well worth taking the time do carry out your own checks, the majority can be done at home and will give you a better understanding of your vehicle.
See this link for the MOT guide: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -at-an-mot
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
BEJT1
Minor Friendly

Post by BEJT1 »

Thanks, Murryminor for the reference to the government pages to the MOT test. I do carry out my own servicing and repair and it was during this process that I identified so many issues with the brakes and suspension on my car (with 11 consecutive - no advisory mot passes, during previous ownership) that I decided that the MOT was not worth the paper it was written on and that I could do a better job checking and maintains my car by myself. I am now confident that the new braking system (discs and servo) and refurbished suspension are operating correctly.
You are also correct, I now know more about Morris Minors that I would ever have learnt if someone else was carrying out work on my cars (Also drive a Triumph TR4).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (361.22 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
burnham28
Minor Fan

Boot lock key

Post by burnham28 »

I have a key for the ignition and the drivers door and one for the passenger side door. Neither of these keys fit the boot so at the moment I am unable to lock the boot. Should one of these keys fit the boot lock or is it a separate key. There is no number on the lock.
[img]jpg[/img]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Boot lock key

Post by geoberni »

burnham28 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 pm I have a key for the ignition and the drivers door and one for the passenger side door. Neither of these keys fit the boot so at the moment I am unable to lock the boot. Should one of these keys fit the boot lock or is it a separate key. There is no number on the lock.
Originally all 3 would have been the same. Looks like a lot of your locks have been changed over the years.
Basil is a SII so no external key locking of passenger door but Drivers Door and ignition are the same. Different Boot Lock though, probably had a donor lid in the past and didn't swap the lock/handle.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If you remove the boot locking handle, the key number should be stamped into the shaft. Replacement keys are available - as are new barrels I believe.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

are there any other pictures of your car on that lift and how the vehicle sits on it please?

i'd like to get one.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

mots cost max 54.84 if you asked for just an overall vehicle check bet the time taken would stretch out to a couple of hours at 60 t0 £80 stick to the mot if you shop around many can be found for £35 to £40. And they do have to go on the system,good thing because you can check on mot history on dvla site. The garage I use has never charged me for a re test,so apart from the obvious safety simple self checks ,tyres lights etc .I just take the car for a test and then do any work they suggest .So basically they check the vehicle at the same time as the test so two jobs in one. Was a time I used to pre check as a matter of pride in getting a pass without advisories each time,can't be bothered now.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

BEJT1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm Thanks, Murryminor for the reference to the government pages to the MOT test. I do carry out my own servicing and repair and it was during this process that I identified so many issues with the brakes and suspension on my car (with 11 consecutive - no advisory mot passes, during previous ownership) that I decided that the MOT was not worth the paper it was written on and that I could do a better job checking and maintains my car by myself. I am now confident that the new braking system (discs and servo) and refurbished suspension are operating correctly.
You are also correct, I now know more about Morris Minors that I would ever have learnt if someone else was carrying out work on my cars (Also drive a Triumph TR4).
That looks like an excellent lift.
Do you have any more details of it?
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor