Security

Post by darranlatham »

Which steering lock for Morris minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Security

Post by Murrayminor »

I would say a disc lock, but don't know if they come in a size large enough for the Minor Wheel.

The problem with older vehicles are well known (I wont list them on here) so something like a decent immobiliser and a cheap hidden tracker can pay dividends should your pride and joy go missing.

The immobiliser will stop a thief from simply driving your vehicle away.

A tracker will alert you (and the police) to the vehicles location.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by darrenj »

I use a wheel clamp, just sits on passenger floor when im driving and only takes seconds to fit and remove, also looking at trackers😎
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Unfortunately, as has been documented in 'Practical Classics', they won't always attend when a vehicle is located and said vehicle can then disappear again (for good) as a result.
I would suggest, in those circumstances, going with some friends and retrieving your property yourself...…
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

A long time ago I saw these small battery operated alarms (presumably for houses).

They used AA batteries and set off an alarm if motion was detected - always wondered if you could leave one of those in the drivers side glovebox.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am
Unfortunately, as has been documented in 'Practical Classics', they won't always attend when a vehicle is located and said vehicle can then disappear again (for good) as a result.
I would suggest, in those circumstances, going with some friends and retrieving your property yourself...…
Best wishes,
Mike.
If you have a tracker on your vehicle which is moving or recently moved then approaching it alone or with friends is not recommended.

The people stealing cars are not kidding around, as a Police officer I have been bitten, attacked with knives, hammers, wrenches wooden posts on different jobs when approaching stolen vehicles.
Do not approach the thieves yourself or with friends, but dial 999 and tell the operator you have located or know where your stolen vehicle is and request urgent assistance to retrieve your vehicle.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

... and no doubt the operator will explain how busy they are etc etc etc...

Maybe they could book an appointment for a PCSO to visit you , next week...

John ;-)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

A few years ago I was on the team of Speed Watch volunteers in our village.

Part of the official brief was that if any motorists stopped and started giving us grief of any sort, we were to call 999, explain that details that we were Speed Watch operating for the Council/Police and required assistance.

One day it happened.
A guy who wasn't actually speeding decided to stop and give the 2 of us a mouthful of abuse etc and as it looked like he was there to make an issue of it, I called 999 as instructed.
The operator finished the call and said they would send a cop car, I think these days they might stay on the line.
So after about 10 minutes of this guy mouthing off, and being quite intimidating, he cleared off.
A couple of minutes later, my phone rang and it was the Police, did we still need them as they were a bit far away still......
Basil the 1955 series II

sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

geoberni wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:36 pm A few years ago I was on the team of Speed Watch volunteers in our village.

Part of the official brief was that if any motorists stopped and started giving us grief of any sort, we were to call 999, explain that details that we were Speed Watch operating for the Council/Police and required assistance.

One day it happened.
A guy who wasn't actually speeding decided to stop and give the 2 of us a mouthful of abuse etc and as it looked like he was there to make an issue of it, I called 999 as instructed.
The operator finished the call and said they would send a cop car, I think these days they might stay on the line.
So after about 10 minutes of this guy mouthing off, and being quite intimidating, he cleared off.
A couple of minutes later, my phone rang and it was the Police, did we still need them as they were a bit far away still......
if you'd told the Police you were being racially abused by the motorist..they'd have been there like a shot.